No display

Ginge1980 11:50 02 Jun 07

Hello all,
I've got a promlem with my display... Is it a problem with my graphics card?
1st the screen froze with just the mouse pointer being able to move.
No applications could be shutdown, the computer wouldn't respond to anything so it was reset.
From there the computer rebooted but there has been no display since, the monitor stays in standby.. making me think there's no signal getting to the monitor...
Is there anything that can be done to help diagnose this problem before spending on a new card.
Thanks in advance

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:07 02 Jun 07

Does the HDD led flash when you boot the computer?

Can you hear HDD and Fans running?

If you think its graphics first try check cable connections and remove - refit the card in its slot and retry.

Toffly 12:27 02 Jun 07

If you unplug the monitor, do you get a "no signal" error? If so, and your monitor stays on standby when it's plugged in, it is getting some sort of signal from the card.

Try removing and re-seating the card. If that doesn't work, test the card on another system or test another card in your system before buying a new one.

Ginge1980 18:45 02 Jun 07

With the monitor unplugged i get a 'dissconnector' message before it goes into standby, with it plugged in i get a 'no signal' message before it goes into standby.
But i'm not getting the HDD led, fans are running. Is this a possible HD fault?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:07 02 Jun 07

Sounds more like your power supply unit has failed
also check cable connections to the drive.

Ginge1980 19:44 02 Jun 07

Checked the cables, seem ok, can hear the drive spinning up when i connect the cable but thats all that happens, can't hear it as you normally would when the disk is being read. Everything else has power.. dvd drive, all fans - casing, CPU, graphics etc and all lighting is on. Would this be the case if the PSU was defective
Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:14 02 Jun 07

Sounds like PSU OK if drive and all fans running

IDE or SATA drives?
Could be IDE ribbon cable defective swap with cable to DVD and retry

Ginge1980 21:12 02 Jun 07

HD is SATA
DVD/Floppy has IDE connection
So can't swap cables.

Gongoozler 21:21 02 Jun 07

Does the computer give the normal POST beep when it starts up?

Ginge1980 21:33 02 Jun 07

No beep, everything seems to power up, there is a very brief 'scratch' (the usual reading noise) from the HD, talking a split second. Then nothing else happens. But not getting the beep.

Gongoozler 21:43 02 Jun 07

No beep. Try this. Remove EVERYTHING that connects to the motherboard except the PSU, processor with heatsink, power switch and case speaker. You should then get an error beep. If you still don't get any POST beep it has to be the PSU, processor or motherboard. You can test the PSU with a test set, but really you have to take a guess. The easiest and cheapest part to replace is the PSU, but my guess is that it's the motherboard that has failed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now