No disconnect option for net

Rhuddlan 17:33 13 Jun 05

A friend of mine has just joined BY Yahoo Broadband and has a 2.2 Mbps connection and has windows xp pro sp2. When right clicking on the tv screen's in the taskbar, there is no option to disconnect, only disable, status, change windows firewall settings or open network connections. Her son by accident pressed disable the other day thinking it would disconnect, and for days she couldn't connect until I invesigated today and found out that it was disabled via device manager, anyone know how to get the disconnect option back there?

octal 17:39 13 Jun 05

You don't disconnect from broadband, only dialup disconnects.

Rhuddlan 17:41 13 Jun 05

Well I have a BB connection and I have a disconnect option which I use.

octal 17:45 13 Jun 05

That's interesting, I never have disconnected on any of my operating systems, I'm using Linux and the only way to disconnect is to pull the plug out the network card, it'll be interesting to see the other comments.

pj123 17:53 13 Jun 05

Forgive me, but isn't that the whole idea of Broadband - it is "always on". You don't need to disconnect. I am on NTL BB and I just close the Home page or minimise it, so that I can get on with something else.

Diemmess 18:02 13 Jun 05

If I click the wee cross at the top right-hand side of the Aol screen I have an immediate window which asks me politely "Are you sure you wish to Sign Off" ? followed by three choices "Stay On", "Sign Off", "Exit Aol".

I may not be totally isolated from BB but I have never seen any new actitivity unless a program wants to update, when it will usually fail to connect unless I have "signed on" again first.

Jackcoms 18:55 13 Jun 05

I use BB and can disconnect by right clicking on the monitor screens in the task bar and clicking disconnect.

octal & pj113

"You don't disconnect from broadband, only dialup disconnects".

"Forgive me, but isn't that the whole idea of Broadband - it is "always on" ".

Stay connected 24/7 if you wish - if you want to leave yourself wide open to all the nasties out there just waiting to attack your PC.

I ALWAYS disconnect whenever I've finished with my BB connection.

sidecar sid 19:16 13 Jun 05

My Telewest connection like pj123's connection is allways on.If i do not want to use it i can close my browser and switch my modem to standby.

My brothers BT ADSL broadband connection is accessed via the dial up connection window that opens when you open Internet explorer.The right click to disconnect option on the "TV screens" is available.

octal 19:17 13 Jun 05

What do you do? pull the plug out? And what nasties would that be then?

pj123 19:30 13 Jun 05

Sorry, Jackcoms but you may think you have disconnected but you haven't. All the time your computer is booted your BB connection is active. In fact even when my PC is switched off my Broadband modem is still connected. If you don't have protection then you are vunerable to all "the nasties" you mention. My PC is protected by AVG, Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and Zone Alarm. I have not had any major problems.

Rhuddlan 19:32 13 Jun 05

Thanks everyone, I will let my friend know that she can just switch the comp off to disconnect from the net, many thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…