No Disc

freefx 22:23 12 Nov 03

Suddenly my DVD writer cant sense there is a disc mounted as it keeps saying there is no disc when i insert a DVD movie and called up PowerDVD and press play.

Does that mean my writer has gone for good? Device manager report the device is working normally. I even uninstall the writer, reboot and XP spotted 'new Hardware' and installed the appropriate driver.

Any help please

VoG II 22:31 12 Nov 03

Have you tried using a CD lens cleaner?

freefx 22:49 12 Nov 03

nope havent got one:) Does it actually work(len cleaner)

Djohn 22:53 12 Nov 03

Try un-installing PowerDVD and re-installing. It may just have lost association with the drive. j.

VoG II 22:53 12 Nov 03

Lens cleaner works for me. I'm a smoker and I think this gunges up the lenses as well as me.

woodchip 23:04 12 Nov 03

I used one on a CD that a child had been putting CD's in with jam on fingers and it got it working. Not mine I mite add

freefx 23:05 12 Nov 03

Strange. Normally when one left click on the drive, it would say please insert a disc whenever the drive is empty. But in this case, windows doesnt complaint that there is no disc mounted. It(XP) happily just displays a blank left pane(where contents of disc are normally listed)

woodchip 23:17 12 Nov 03

If a cleaner will not do it the Laser Led Reader may have gone. Get one with cleaning fluid so you can put a drop on the brush

freefx 23:22 12 Nov 03

will try to get hold of one tomorrow,,,,,or even later from 24Hr Tesco(?) Might take it back where i got if from tomorrow morning..only had it less tham two months ago.....from Computer World..part of Times Computers I believe

freefx 00:57 13 Nov 03

Apparently it can read CD-R,CD-ROM but not DVD...Any idea why is that,anybody?

hugh-265156 01:04 13 Nov 03

try uninstalling the drive via device manager right click it/uninstall and restarting the computer.

windows will find it again and reinstall the drivers for it,might help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…