No Direct 3D

Phil Owers 10:48 15 Aug 05

When I run programmes that require 3D support they tell me there is no compatible adaptor. I have replaced the graphics card because of this but it did not work:

Athelon XP2700 - XP Service Pack 2
1500meg RAM
Radeon 9800PRO 128meg with latest Drivers
DirectX 9.0c - reinstalled
DXdiag on display tab shows "Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer." - it is.
Bios is OK as far as I can see.

Thanks for any suggestions - Phil

GaT7 17:41 15 Aug 05

Hi Phil. Try click here. Good luck, G

Phil Owers 22:22 15 Aug 05

Thanks G, but I have tried all that already and again today. The keys relating to DirectX features are greyed-out

GaT7 23:10 15 Aug 05

What is your motherboard make & model? It may require chipset driver & BIOS updates too. G

Phil Owers 08:35 16 Aug 05

Board: MSI MS-6712 1.0
Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version 07.00T 04/02/01

Thanks G

ACOLYTE 13:40 16 Aug 05

Usually this can be sorted by either updating/Reinstalling Dirextx your graffix card drivers or the motherboard drivers,mainly if its on board graffix but it can sometimes help.
You could try totally removing the card and drivers from the system then put it back in and reboot,then update the driver after windows loads the default driver.
Does the card run at 8X agp? if so does your board support 8x agp.

GaT7 21:07 16 Aug 05

Phil, please confirm your mb is a KT4V click here.

The MSI Live Update utility should give you a good idea as to what's required
click here & scroll down.

Tell us what updates the L'Update scan suggests you should install.

I have more info for you should you want to go down this route. Installing the mb drivers should be OK, but you must know a BIOS update is a bit risky. I've done 6-7 BIOS updates (on 2 mbs) & they were all successful (thank goodness!). One was not needed, but I did it anyway to learn - it was my first time. The others I did as a LAST resort - they didn't solve my problem (with onboard sound) but at least I'd tried everything possible before getting a PCI soundcard.

ACOLYTE, I think he has already tried what you suggest to no avail. I've had a look on some forums & they mentioned mb chipset drivers & BIOS updates could help, & worth a try if everything else did not. G

Phil Owers 23:18 16 Aug 05

Thanks to you both - I think I have done it all now - re-installed and updated everything including Direct X, Video Card drivers, Bios and Chipset. The only remaining L'Updates suggested on MSI were a LAN one and an audio. I still have no Direct 3D reported on DX Diag and prog reporting no compatible card - bizarre! - Phil

woodchip 23:36 16 Aug 05

If you have a full XP disc, put it in comp from RUN type SFC /SCANNOW press enter. then try the DirectX

Phil Owers 23:48 16 Aug 05

WOODCHIP - thanks, but done that already. However, did again anyway, but still no Direct 3D

woodchip 23:58 16 Aug 05

Been checking google most point to updating Drivers for your card, But me thinks it's a windows DirectX Problem. If you know how then I would suggest a Repair of XP. but check this out it may help with some info click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…