No dialing tone ??

STEVE71163 20:23 23 Aug 03

I have been trying to install aol on my Mums new lap top this afternoon but it keeps comming back saying their is no dialing tone. I have looked in device manager and all shows ok so what else can i look at ?

jaygice 20:28 23 Aug 03

are all the drivers installed try reinstall and see what happens

STEVE71163 20:33 23 Aug 03

I have just noticed that the communications port 2 says it cannot start in device manager. Is this anything to do with the modem?

spuds 20:50 23 Aug 03

Is the internet connection running from an extention line system.Check to see if other devices have become dislodged.

jospar 21:13 23 Aug 03

Modems normaly set themselves up on a vitrual com 3, if its on two then you might have a conflick, try moving to com 3, normaly the software will chose com 3. And also check weather the com ports are enabled.

krypt1c 21:26 23 Aug 03

Make sure she hasn't got things like caller ID, or block caller ID set on her 'phone. This sometimes causes probs

plankton 21:29 23 Aug 03

The other thing to check is whether there are any messages on the phone. That gives a long "beep" rather than the dialling tone !! Ha! fallen for that one! ;o)

STEVE71163 21:30 23 Aug 03

Thanks for replys. I am using my phone line so their is no caller id etc but still no dial tone??

JIM 22:07 23 Aug 03

Not being funny,there is a modem installed?
post us the speck and win/os

Check in system devices for whats installed.OR what type of modem.

Also if you still have aol loaded right click on AOL in task bar and open up systems information.Click on modem and see what the report is.

woodchip 22:22 23 Aug 03

It can nearly alway's be down to one of two thing ether the ?port or irq? is not configured right or a conflict with one or both of the above.

or the modem's broken

woodchip 22:24 23 Aug 03

Have a look at the manual for the "port and IRQ" it should use

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…