no device manager

lakeman 16:32 13 Nov 09

hi all, im running xp home , norton installed, i went to use my printer and got "printer cannot communicate with pc" so i checked a few things and finally got amessage saying the printer was in the wrong port"lpt1" , its a usb printer so i went to device manager to see if i could do anything in there and its gone, device manager box opens but list of devices, just blank. thinking ive got a bug of some description , norton doesnt find anything neither superantispyware,how do i repopulate the device manager, thankyou

Sea Urchin 16:38 13 Nov 09
  johndrew 16:38 13 Nov 09

I suggest the first thing to try is a complete re-boot. If you still have a problem disconnect all peripherals (not mouse or keyboard) and try another re-boot.

If that fails you may have a damaged file and need to run sfc /scannow you will need your XP CD. click here for full details on how to use it.

woodchip 16:39 13 Nov 09

try disabling norton

lakeman 16:42 13 Nov 09

thanks i will try those and report back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…