no desktop

bic biro 19:05 04 Apr 08

i installed registry mechanic then restarted pc to find no desktop at all so i uninstalled it but its still the same,it will appear with all the icons and taskbar then go away then come back a few minutes later,then just proceeds to do the same all over,i have ran explorer.exe from the taskmanager,this is how i have got on here with iexplorer,have done a restore to a previous day but still the same,tried booting from the xp cd but windows just starts up although i have changed the boot sequence in the bios th cd cos i was going to to a repair.any ideas anyone

anskyber 19:10 04 Apr 08

Try system restore to a time before RM was installed.

bic biro 20:33 04 Apr 08

i have tried restore to the day before

BurrWalnut 09:09 05 Apr 08

click here and scroll down to line 195 on the right hand column and download the file. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

bic biro 12:41 05 Apr 08

i tried that BurrWalnut but when i double clic that file it just opens in notepad theres no prompt for anything

BurrWalnut 13:33 05 Apr 08

If it doesn't run then I suspect you have caught something nasty and need to run HiJackThis.

Before doing so, try SuperAntiSpyware. Download the free version click here

bic biro 20:53 05 Apr 08

ta very much BurrWalnut used SuperAntiSpyware and it got quite a large amount of crap,rebooted and now back to normal,fingers crossed,now SuperAntiSpyware will be part of my defence programs,i cant do much as its free with the results however its done the main thing,thanks

BurrWalnut 09:10 06 Apr 08

I'm glad you're up and running.

However, unless you've been very lucky, I think there is more to clean up.

bic biro 20:50 10 May 08

well BurrWalnut u were right,just been fighting this again for 2 days now
seems to be the virtumonde trojan and its in my regisrty files and in the memory,between superantivirus and spybot i can get rid of it although it takes time,but how is it getting there in the first place,all was well till i allowed a change in the registry reported by spybot,right away i had the missing desktop etc,but i did notice it was something to do with bho browser helper object
if anyone gets the same thing check out spybot,s forums for the cure

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac