No desktop

CDL 13:29 10 Oct 05

Running XP Pro. Machine fine when turned off yesterday. Today starts ok and background appears but no toolbars,dektop items etc. Can launch progs with Task Manager (C/A/D)and I have,via that, run various utilities in an attempt to resolve problem - without sucess. Also launched msconfig. and selected normal start up but again no success.

Thanks

CDL

Hamish 13:33 10 Oct 05

Try a sysrem restore if you have not done so already

MAJ 13:40 10 Oct 05

You can get to the Run box by pressing the Windows key and the "R" key. When it opens type/paste in:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

and click OK. That will start System Restore, allowing you to restore to before the problem occured.

Kingfisher 13:43 10 Oct 05

Try rebootinc pc and tapping f8. When menu appears select "Last known good configuration" see if that works

CDL 13:57 10 Oct 05

Thanks Hamish,MAJ & Kingfisher. Yup I've actually done a system restore and all is ok,but I prefer to try and resolve the problem, if possible before resorting to that.
Any suggestions re. the cause ?

Hamish 14:01 10 Oct 05

Sorry, no idea. Pleased that system restore work and I think that is the purpose of it, to get one out of trouble of all else fails.

iambeavis 14:02 10 Oct 05

Try this.
Open Task Manager - choose, File\New Task and enter Explorer.exe in the box...see if that helps.

VoG II 14:03 10 Oct 05

Corrupt account? click here

MAJ 14:05 10 Oct 05

"but I prefer to try and resolve the problem,"

Check the Event Viewer, see if it reports anything untoward.

CDL 17:31 10 Oct 05

Another unsolved mystery ! - but at least I'm back in business !
Thank you all for your help.

CDL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…