No connectivity on only one pc

Heffalump 15:08 03 Jan 09

I have lost connectivity on my main pc (connected to Negear router by ethernet) whilst the wireless laptops are fine. I know there have been several threads on this problem butI still have not managed to resolve mine and it's driving me mad!

I have tried: Turning off modem and router; checking cables including switching ethernet ports; restoring system; checking Firewall settings; running Repair which gives error message saying can't find IP address and i might need to contact Network manager (that's me - help!); checking IP and DSN are on obtain automatically; running Windows NetworkDiagnostics which concluded that I the modem is faulty

Does this make sense? I thought it wouldn't be the modem if the wireless machines are connected?

Any suggestions? Easy instructions pls as I am no techie!!

kindly 15:53 03 Jan 09

Have you tried to connect a cable that goes to one of the working laptops to the NOT working computer. If you have did it work. Have you tried the cable from the NOT working computer to a working one to see if it works on that one. After that if the computer works with the other cable then it must be the original cable that is faulty. If the computer that does not work still does not work then I would check your setting on the computer for the network cables.
Hope this helps. sorry about the way its worded

Heffalump 16:09 03 Jan 09

Hi kindly, thanks for your promt reply.

Not sure quite what you mean - you are talking to a bear with a very little brain here. THe 2 working laptops are wireless. Not sure how I will know if cable is working or not if I plug it into them!

How do I check my setting for nework cables? Is it in Device Manager?

Cheers

kindly 16:55 03 Jan 09

I missread your post sorry. Your main computer is the only one with the cable on, yes... If thats the case try a new cable if you have one. If its still the same then I would check your settings in the "network connections" to see that they are ok. If you main computer is not wireless why dont you get an adapter to fit in it then you are all wireless. Sorry im not much help.

Heffalump 18:03 03 Jan 09

Hey no, that is alot of help Kindly, thanks. I will try new cable tomorrow. Is it difficult to make PC wireless? That sounds a great solution.

Heffalump 16:10 05 Jan 09

OK. Tried new cable - nothing. BUT chap at work said set the IP address and DNS to manual and type in 192.168.1.20 and 192.168.1.1 for DNS and hey presto got a connection! BUT go into Internet Explorer and "Cannot display web page". Now what??!!

woodchip 16:20 05 Jan 09

Unplug the Main Cable to None working and try it in one of the Laptops. The Ethernet Cable will have preference over Wireless, but if you want assurance go to Device Manager on the Laptop and click on Networking disable wireless to check that Ethernet is Working, if it is you know that settings on other computer are faulty. You could run System Restore to see if that corrects matters

Heffalump 10:18 10 Jan 09

Problem solved! I unplugged machine to move it temporarily, plugged it all back in again and hey presto. I had previously tried every single connection one by one. Sometimes I hate computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now