No connection to internet server

digbee2500 15:06 08 Mar 10

Hi can anybody help me? My pc runs on windows xp connected to a netgear router with firefox as my default internet. I downloaded the latest version of firefox a few days ago and it was working ok. I had to diconnect my pc and all hardware as I did some painting but when I set it all back up again and tried to access the internet I keep getting the message "server cannot be found" "you are not connected" I checked all the wires and all seems ok, rebooted the router and in frustration even rebooted my pc when none of the above worked. Any suggetions? I contacted my ISP, virgin, and they said there was no problems at their end. Any help gratefully received.

oldbeefer3 15:33 08 Mar 10

What leds are showing on the router?

digbee2500 15:42 08 Mar 10

all four lights that normally show

northumbria61 15:46 08 Mar 10

click here

Try this if all led's are showing up on router as asked by oldbeefer3

oldbeefer3 15:47 08 Mar 10

Hmm. If the internet light is green and the LAN light is steady that should mean that it is seeing the net and your computer. I'll have a think!

oldbeefer3 15:48 08 Mar 10

Good point, northumbria. Digbee - try IE instead of Firefox.

digbee2500 16:04 08 Mar 10

I'll try all suggestions when I get home as I'm using my pc at work and let you know the outcome tomorrow. Thanks for your help both oldbeefer3 and northumbria61. By the way I already tried IE so I guess its either my router settings or firewall settings.

^wave^ 16:12 08 Mar 10

try entering 192.168.0.1 this the router ip addy id you get a log on screen then you can see the router and problem is router outwards. if you cant see the router then problem is pc to router. check cable to router see if you have a connection problem does the pc say if there is a cable connected

SJM_81 16:47 08 Mar 10

Sounds to me like you have wiped out the dns server address. Without a dns server you cant access the wep as a dns server turns human recognizable address like "yahoo.com" into ip addresses that the computer recognizes. So without dns you want find any servers.

Can you copy and past this command here please so we cans see whats at fault with your network adaptors address.

start> run> type cmd and click OK. Now type ipconfig/all and right click, copy then past here.

Thanks.

digbee2500 10:57 09 Mar 10

Hi all. Well I got into my router settings, tried a refresh following steps I found from a previous problem but still no internet access. Woke up this morning to find my pc has crashed and taken itself back to factory settings so when I go home this evening I think I will have to try and restore everything. Any advice? Thanks.

pierceabbey 11:06 09 Mar 10

I think you should format your pc as there may be some kind of virus that is creating problem in you pc. don't forget to inform me if this solution worked.
[url=click here]colopure cleanse[/url]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced