No Connection Via Ethernet Cabling

ßoolian 15:40 01 Mar 09

Hi,

So I could have my laptop connected to the net as well as my xbox 360 I recently purchased an ethernet coupler, ethernet splitter and two ethernet 3 metre cables. There is a 30 m cable that runs along the outside of my house to the router. This cable comes into my room through the wall. I then attached the coupler and I plugged the splitter into the other end of that. Then I attached the two cables to the splitter, one going into my laptop and the other into my xbox. I would like to know where I have gone wrong. Also there is a wireless router spare but my problem is I cannot connect it up as it has a DSL port. Is there a ethernet-dsl adapter?

Thanks

mgmcc 16:35 01 Mar 09

Some ethernet couplers are "crosswired" in order to implement the same function as using a "crossover" network cable to connect two computers directly. If your coupler is of this type, you will probably get a "Network Cable Unplugged" indication in the Laptop.

>>> Also there is a wireless router spare but my
>>> problem is I cannot connect it up as it has a
>>> DSL port. Is there a ethernet-dsl adapter?

If it is a combined "Router & ADSL Modem", its WAN port will be an RJ11 one for connection by modem cable to the phone line. You *cannot* convert this to operate as an ethernet port by connecting an adapter to it. You *MAY* be able to use the router as a basic Network Switch and/or Wireless Access Point by disabling its DHCP server (so it doesn't allocate IP addresses) and by connecting the incoming ethernet cable, your Laptop and the Xbox all to its LAN ports. When doing this, it *WON'T* function as a router, your main router still needs to perform the routing function to the various IP addresses.

ßoolian 16:48 01 Mar 09

Thanks,

Is there a solution to the wired network problem?

I think I may try the wireless option later

mgmcc 16:54 01 Mar 09

>>> Is there a solution to the wired network problem?

Does the Laptop show "Network Cable Unplugged"? If so, the coupler is possibly of the wrong type (crossover) and needs to be swapped for a straight-wired one.

Presumably, if you plug the ethernet cable that comes into the room directly into the Laptop, it has internet access? Otherwise you've got problems elsewhere which need to be sorted out first.

ßoolian 17:20 01 Mar 09

Yes it is a crossover

I have found in the bottom of my draw a straight coupler

Thanks again,
Joe

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…