No compression in Winzip

Baz48 19:53 17 Dec 05

Just made a zip archive in Winzip of a 5.5Gb folder and it made a zip file of 5.36Gb, size and size on disk. Only a few of the files are photos, which I beleive don't compress very well, so I was expecting a much smaller folder.

Is this normal?

octal 19:59 17 Dec 05

What are the other files though? They may already be compressed.

Baz48 20:03 17 Dec 05

The're mainly map files and map elevation data. How would I know if they are compressed?

octal 20:08 17 Dec 05

You could try zipping just one of the files and see how small it is.
Ant data file should compress quite well.

Baz48 20:19 17 Dec 05

There are only 58 files and it has compressed them by about 3% so I don't think that any one file is the problem.

I just compressed a Word text file and this was really small so Winzip is working OK. Must be the type of files.

What does it mean by "size on disk"? I thought this meant when it was unzipped, but obviously it dosn't.

DieSse 20:46 17 Dec 05

*size on disk* is how much space is used by the file on the hard drive. It's always larger than the actual file size, due to *slack spàce* - at the end of the file when it doesn't exactly fill an allocation unit.

octal 20:51 17 Dec 05

Would you mind if I emailed you? I have a question about Xandros.

Baz48, sorry to jump in on your thread.

PaulB2005 21:36 17 Dec 05

Baz48 - what type of files are they (JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIFF?)

If they are JPEG or another compressed type then they are already compressed and won't compress much further.

Simsy 09:52 18 Dec 05

pdf files don't compress much further either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…