no communication on windows live messenger

LABMAN 22:05 13 Feb 08

Hi Folks,

I wonder if anyone can help with this problem I'm having with windows live messenger, it's been ongoing now for a couple of days.

I start a conversation and I get a reply back then it freezes, the person I'm talking to doesn't get what I'm typing and I don't get what they are typing, sometimes I can't even start a converstion, when I log off a pop up box appears saying we were unable to start a conversation with xxx you may want to try again.

Windows live messenger is fully enabled in my firewall and I've uninstalled and reinstalled and still get the same problem, I've run spybot, ad-aware 2007 and super anti spyware along with avast anti virus and found nothing, all my windows updates are fully updated.

It's realy starting to get to me so any help would be much appreciated, I'm running XP home and IE6.

brundle 22:45 13 Feb 08

Tried Trillian click here or Meebo (web-based) click here or Pidgin click here? If the apps have problems communicating too then you have something more to go on.

LABMAN 15:40 14 Feb 08

Hello Brundle,

Thanks for the links I have tried Meebo and still having similar problems.

The conversation on MSN starts, you chat for a wee bit then nothing happens then you get a message saying Meebo is having problems connecting to the network....I have noticed it haapens mainly with only one or two of my contacts is it at all possible the problem is at their end...

Any and all input is welcome folks as this realy buging me now.

brundle 15:51 14 Feb 08

Sounds likely, Meebo doesn't need firewall ports configured and runs entirely in your browser. I think your conclusions may be right - ask the contacts in question to give their systems the once over, this thread will help; click here

LABMAN 16:18 14 Feb 08

hi Brundle, my friends have all claimed their computers are clean and running fine, one like me has even reinstalled windows live messenger and it hasn't cured it.

I can have a conversation with a friend and it's fine, then chat to them a couple of hours later and all the problems are present...it's just so frustrating.

brundle 17:02 14 Feb 08

What happens if the person the other end uses Meebo too?

LABMAN 20:25 15 Feb 08

I haven't been able to get anyone to try Meebo as I'm the only one they say they are having problems with, I've uninstalled the latest version of window live messenger and installed an older non beta version and it's still the same, only there is now another person added to the list I'm having problems with

LABMAN 23:31 15 Feb 08

any ideas please

rdave13 23:56 15 Feb 08

As it's a Microsoft product try running a scan from Windows live; click here Make sure WLM is running while you use the scanner.

rdave13 23:58 15 Feb 08

Hmm, doesn't work with Opera so use IE7 to run a scan.

LABMAN 09:37 16 Feb 08

Hi rdave 13,

I've run the windows live scanner and it's come up clean.

I forgot to mention though that this problem is occuring on both my own PC and my wifes laptop, so it's begining to look to me as if it is a windows live messenger problem, but what it is that's the question.

I tried runing messenger last night and had no luck with it all, it's even started to disconect itself from the network for some reason.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now