No check box to select the WebTV component in XP

Evad 23:00 22 Jul 04

I find was that, under Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Windows Setup tab, there is no text at the bottom of the list or a check box to select the WebTV component. Neither does it appear when I use the XP Pro OS installation disk. I have had no response from Microsoft (surprise?) as to how I might get the WebTV option back in the list. Any suggestions please?

Evad 23:58 22 Jul 04

ßéLâ,

I'm in the UK. From what you say it may well be that the WebTV component does not exist in XP Pro!

It has been suggested by ATI that I need the Windows WebTV component in order that I can solve the following problem: -

Problem Report Sent to ATI:-
"Since Upgrading from Win98 by installing XP on a separate hard disk partition and reinstalling ATI with latest drivers from your website the TV Tuner does not find programmes with Auto Scan in TV Tuner Setup. Also; there is nothing in the drop- down list box used to select the broadcast format and the cable standard. Aerial etc is OK as I get TV programmes if I reboot the same computer into the Win 98 partition.
I checked the multitude of suggestions given at the end of your previous message and the only thing I found was that, under Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Windows Setup tab, there is no text at the bottom of the list or a check box to select the WebTV component. I have had no response from Microsoft (surprise?) and no positive response from any of a number of support forums as to how I might get the WebTV option back in the list. Are you saying this is necessary for the ATI TV Tuner to work properly? I will be greatful for any help you can provide in resolving these problem! I would like to watch TV under XP and not have to reboot into Win98 to receive TV transmissions".

ATI may well have sent me down a false trail!

What do you think?

Evad.

Evad 22:04 26 Jul 04

I eventually found an answer on the ATI site, no reply from ATI, explaining that the loss of TV functionality was because of a bug in the Microsoft DirectX software, no reply from Microsoft. I updated DirectX <b>after</b> installing the ATI Media Centre (TV) software. The FAQ answer can be found at: -
click here
It appears that the problem can affect also Ulead VideoStudio, and Pinnacle Studio.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…