No CD/DVD and no floppy...XP install

ArrGee 09:44 03 May 07

A friend has given me a laptop which has no CD/DVD drive and no floppy. He has also given me a installation discs for XP Home.

The laptop currently has an installation of XP Pro, but it's all in Japanese.

(Laptop is a Fujitsu FMV Lifebook).

How can I go about installing his XP Home in English without any drives

There are two USB ports, and I have to hand an external HDD as well as a 1gb USB Flashdrive (if this helps...?).

Any help would be gratefully received.

johnnyrocker 09:48 03 May 07

can you not change language settings etc in control panel?

johnny.

ArrGee 09:53 03 May 07

Tried that and there are no English options in regional settings unfortunately.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:23 03 May 07

First check is will it boot from USB?

If the BIOS is in japanese it may well be diffiult to set first boot device as USB if not already set.

birdface 10:26 03 May 07

Can you change it in internet options,At the bottom it says languages,Make sure it is English.

ArrGee 10:31 03 May 07

Yup, the BIOS is in Japanese. It's PhoenixBIOS, so I think I could find the USB boot settings from another PhoenixBIOS in English (tall order indeed!)

buteman, I can't get into IE as it hasn't been set-up. And the set-up is also all in Japanese.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:43 03 May 07

Make your Flashdrive bootable as per click here

Copy i386 folder from xp Home Cd to flash drive

I believe you can just run either WINNT.EXE or SETUP.EXE from the i386 directory to start the setup process.

Format the HDD an instal as normal.

ArrGee 11:02 03 May 07

Cheers for that, but before I try out your suggestion, do I need to set the USB boot in BIOS?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:29 03 May 07

Yes if it will not boot from USB as first device it will go straight into the japanese windows on the HDD.

ArrGee 11:36 03 May 07

Right, but finding the USB boot option in a Japanese BIOS is proving to be a tad difficult! Any ideas there?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:14 03 May 07

Copy the boot files to the flash drive plug it in and reboot, you may be lucky and find it is already set as first boot device especially as some lptops are set that way to look for an exteral usb floppy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…