No CD/DVD Drives

jaycup 19:06 15 Sep 04

The driver that Windows uses for all CD/DVD/CDRW/DVDRW Drives is in the Windows/System32/Drivers Folder and is named GearASPIWMD.sys. I know this because mine's is currently sitting on my desktop, having been removed from the folder and consequently all of my Drives are inoperative.
I have had to do this because if I install the driver, then, on boot-up just when I reach my desktop I get a black screen with a stop error message which states that my computer has been shut down for 'protection' because a driver
GearASPIWMD.sys has "attempted to access memory after this has been freed" and that is that!. If I try to re-boot I get caught in the same loop, that is why I have isolated the driver. I now have my computer back to normal but with no CD/DVd Drives. This is a Microsoft Driver and my system is bang up to date including SP2, and yes, the problem was there with SP1 as well. Can anyone suggest a way forward e.g.,is there an alternative driver for these drives?.
Am I facing a format/re-install of XP, I do hope not!

Jeffers22 19:40 15 Sep 04

Could it be that the driver file has somehow become corrupt/infected? If so restoring said file from CD may cure the problem.

However .... I have no such file in my Windows\System 32\Drivers folder. I have a modern 52X CDROM and an even more modern DVDROM in this machine - no writers, they are in another PC

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:00 15 Sep 04

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers in XP. they are in the windows\system32\dirvers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-

DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

jaycup 09:20 16 Sep 04

Thanks for your interest and I take your point re this driver not appearing on your computers, funnily enough I have just spoken to a friend who has re-installed XP plus SP2 only yesterday and he does not have this file either so it appears it is not installed by Windows. What is true in my case is that something has installed it and not only that it has become the default driver for my CDRW; DVDRW and DVDRom Drives all three will not operate if I disable this driver. I did enable it this morning and by way of experiment I booted into safe -mode all the drives were working ok. Next I re-booted as normal and as soon as my desktop appeared I got the dreaded error message " A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by Driver GearASPIWDM.sys Check new Hardware Software etc." Needless to say this was the first thing I did some days ago but I have not installed any new item for months and certainly no Hardware item. Why does it appear to be ok in Safe-Mode?. I again experimented by disabling all start-up items and re-booted but I got the error message again, so it really is a mystery. If it is a Service which runs at start up then again I can't understand this as I am using the windows XP default settings. I need to know which programme/software/ hardware installs this driver but how do I do this?.
Currently I am running with no drives so that I can seek help on the Internet. The 'driver' is on my desktop!.

jaycup 09:23 16 Sep 04

I should have added that if I re-boot now why does Windows not just load another driver from it's own supply there appears to be quite a few in the System32/Drivers folder. Another mystery

jaycup 22:42 16 Sep 04

Have solved the problem. The culprit was 'Drive Image' which had a 'service' running at start up and set to automatic, this was where the problem driver came from. I uninstalled the program and re-installed the CD/DVD drives with microsoft drivers. thanks for the support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…