No CD for Win XP need ideas plz.

Wizz198303 18:12 12 Oct 03

Hi, I have Windows XP Professional only thing is, i do not have the CD that came with it, so i would like to know how i would be able to put Windows XP back on to my harddrive after iv formatted it.
im a simple person so a brief explanation of if it would work and what to do if it does would be great!!.

DieSse 18:17 12 Oct 03

Your system should have had a recovery procedure supplied with it - you smply follow that procedure.

You should eother have a recovery CD, or there will be a hidden partition on your hard drive, with the required recovery components in it.

If neither, then you wll have to purchase another copy of WinXP. If you have the original XP serial number on a label fixed to the outside of your system, as you should have if you don't have the CD - then I beleive it is legitimate to install from a different actual CD, using your purchased serial number.

DieSse 18:19 12 Oct 03

/me/ ducks down below the parapet in case of incoming flak.

The Spires 18:49 12 Oct 03

graham√ 19:53 12 Oct 03

To check for Recovery data on the hard drive, Start, right-click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. You will see the partitions on the drive.

graham√ 20:16 12 Oct 03

The I386 folder on my Home XP is 460MB. The Pro version, I imagine, would be more. A lot of CDs!

The CDs would also need to contain entire folders, you couldn't change in the middle of a folder.

No, it's not easy to transfer the folder in this way.

jospar 21:17 12 Oct 03

If you're not in need of an urgent reformat, and you have all the lience details (I'm assuming that prehaps you've lost/damaged xp disc)

Give the microsoft support an e-mail or a phone call explaining your plight, they might come up with a solution for you, never know your luck!

Djohn 22:02 12 Oct 03

I know exactly what you mean. look at my attempt yesterday. j. click here

Djohn 22:16 12 Oct 03

Not nearly as much as I was yesterday! ;o)

graham√ 22:23 12 Oct 03

No wonder Wizz198303 has not come back, he must think we're a bunch of buffoons.

'im a simple person so a brief explanation ' was in the post, aftr all.

Wizz198303 01:40 13 Oct 03

thanx for the response, the reason why im formatting my harddrive is cos im gonna change motherboards from a msi 6183, P3 to an AMD 2400+ K4summit motherboard and thought id start a fresh. and besides its not that i dont have the cd (which i dont) but the one i got aint an official one, oooops. and i wouldnt wanna spend £300 for an over priced OS. and a walkthrough would be excellent, cos if i get stuck halfway through reformatting i wont be happy. iv got a data lifeguard disk from my western digital harddrive which i was spose to use to create a bootable disk (contains EZ instal, Diagnostics, BIOS Check etc)but i was given this "unofficial" win XP CD and used that instead and had to give it back without botherin to burn it to disk first.

hows that for a response to all ur answers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…