no cd rom or cd rewriter

northy 20:06 17 Dec 05

hi
ihave lost my samsung dvd,cd rom, also my onlite cd rewriter,they are not in hardware list .and the rewriter shows continuouse busy light, my p c is taking a long time to boot up,i have tried system restore but it is the same ,can anybody help.
peter

PA28 20:11 17 Dec 05

Check leads to drives - in particular check that the lead to your floppy drive has not been reversed (ie pin 1 at the wrong end) - I know this sounds crazy but it has happened to me in the past when I've been tinkering inside. Have you had the machine apart for any reason?

If this doesn't help, what is your BIOS picking up?

northy 20:31 17 Dec 05

hi pa28
the bios only shows floppy disc drive ,i tried a external dvdrewriter on p.c ,prio to wrapping for christmas ,and have problems since.
peter

PA28 22:50 17 Dec 05

First suggestion - if you are on XP have you tried to roll back your machine to prior to trying the external drive?

Otherwise, I presume your CD drives are on IDE2 with a seperate cable to your hard drive? If not, then this might be a sensible first move. If the BIOS is still not detecting (and both IDEs are active - might be worth checking in the BIOS), then presumably nothing is showing in Device Manager? I can only suggest disconnecting the IDE2 cable at the motherboard and disconnecting your slave CD/DVD drive on that cable. Boot up (obviously nothing will be detected as there is nothing to detect) and then boot down and switch off. Reconnect the cable to the motherboard (with only one drive attached)and see if that's detected. If so then boot down and reattach the slave drive and see if that forces detection.

PA28 22:53 17 Dec 05

Sorry, I see you've tried a restore already ( I was reading too quickly). Try the second part and in the meantime this will place the thread at the top in case someone's got another idea.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…