no cd rom icon in my computer

KPC 20:52 03 Dec 06

yesterday built new computer. asus m2v motherboard, athlon 2g processsor and so on. also dvd rw which up to today was working fine. watched a movie last night and it was performing perfect. Had a bit of an issue installing audio driver but when it restarted up pops the usual balloon to tell you found new hardware, dvd rw. WHAT i thought, then no confirmation of it installed and when i went to my computer, there is no icon. i thought it was bust, so i replaced it with a cd rom and it installed but no icon, but when i go in to the bios, it is there. please help somebody...........aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

skidzy 20:55 03 Dec 06

Have you uninstalled any burning software,if so you may need to clear the upper and lower filters in the registry.

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic etc.

Try the below link first,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

If in any doubt,please create a System Restore point first.

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

KPC 20:56 03 Dec 06

ok i will try this. thanks for prompt responce.

Stuartli 20:59 03 Dec 06

It could just be that the cable or power leads have not been inserted firmly enough when assembling the system.

Check for firmness and then reboot.

KPC 21:00 03 Dec 06

no lower filters, does that matter

KPC 21:01 03 Dec 06

thanks stuartli but i have done this twice and i dont think i could have been that unlucky, thanks anyway

skidzy 21:02 03 Dec 06

Before tinkering with the registry follow Stuartli's advice first.
However if all the leads and cables are connected properly,it could be the upper and lower filters.

Can you confirm if you have removed any burning software ?

And do you receive any error codes ?

KPC 21:05 03 Dec 06

i installed the dvd rw but didnt put any burning software on, just power dvd to test with the movie, the error codes i think i did see code 41 the last time i rebooted

KPC 21:22 03 Dec 06

clicked the link and installed it, but nothing

skidzy 21:27 03 Dec 06

Code 41
Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Recommended resolution

A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This error occurs when Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.

If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.

If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add Hardware wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System, and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.

click here

KPC 21:35 03 Dec 06

thanks for sticking with us mate, i will try this

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac