No CD drive in device manager

robco 18:57 21 Jul 04

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how I get the CD drive back in device manager? It's suddenly decided not to show after a reboot although I've checked the connections which are fine. Also the drivers for the graphics card don't seem to 'fit' the hardware and I can't relaod them from the cd for reasons already mentioned. Can't get into bios because it's our 2nd pc which the kids use and it was given to us with a bios password enabled. When queried, I was told that there had never been any need to go into bios and the password facility was made by the factory that built it.
Have run av software to check for viruses and it's showing 'clean'.
Anyone out there with any ideas?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Rgrds Robco

woodchip 19:09 21 Jul 04

You can remove the Password by removeing the Motherboard Battery, but you will lose the settings unless you use a CMOS save program. but then again, that would be no good, for as soon as you reloaded the settings it would put it all back as before including password. best bet if you want to get into cmos is remove the battery and leave for a while then put it back in and gfo into setup and set it to defaults to start with the modify one at a time after you get you problem sorted

woodchip 19:11 21 Jul 04

Make sure the ribbon cable is puched on each end of cable or try a new cable

Totally-braindead 19:26 21 Jul 04

Agree with Woodchip check the IDE cable first. If that doesn't work borrow the IDE cable from the other PC and try it, if that doesn't work try using the cd drive out of your other computer. If the new drive is recognised then the drive is probably kaput and you'll need a new one.

THE TERMINATOR 19:26 21 Jul 04

Does the cd drive show up in 'my computer'?...TT

canard 22:44 21 Jul 04

Bump.

canard 14:21 23 Jul 04

Bring on a pundit.

Diemmess 14:56 23 Jul 04

Since this happened mid stream so to speak, I don't think any BIOS setting is to blame.

If tests with substitution of either another CD drive using existing cables, or exchanged cables for the same CD drive do not work, then it is almost certainly a dead drive.

Another check is to see/hear if the drive momentarily spins up when a disk is inserted.......... A dead laser which is returning no signal will cause the drive to spin only very briefly before stopping.

robco 19:48 31 Jul 04

Hi guys,
Sorry to have taken so long to come back to you but I have had no internet access through my computer since taking my ribbon cable out and CD drive from this computer to try on the other computer to see if eitherwere at fault. When it didn't make any difference,I put them back but could no longer reboot! Couldn't locate either the C drive or the D drive. The other computer wouldn't even go to boot up! It turned out that I had put everything back okay but the ribbon cables were the wrong way round (red line on the wrong edge) - Oops! Anyway, sorted now except that I still cannot access the CD drive on the second computer. It's missing in both "my computer" and "device manager". It's been suggested that a couple of files could be missing from my Windows system file, namely "mscd.exe" and "sdcd.sys". I have the first one in the "command" folder but not the other. It's the same on both computers except that on this one, the CD drive is okay but it won't work on the other one. It seems to be missing the file it needs to boot up in dos. Am running Win 98se on both puters. Any ideas?
Rob

THE TERMINATOR 20:20 31 Jul 04

he problem may lie in yoy autoexec.bat or config.sys file, check out click here this web page and your files to see if the cd-rom drivers are being loaded....TT

BurrWalnut 20:26 31 Jul 04

This may help :-

Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…