No CD Drive!

wotbus@ 17:59 27 Aug 03

Hi everyone from sunny St Kitts, Caribbean. Problem with my hosts PC. Win98 OS. We did a CD copy using Nero (my Dig Photos). It would appear now for some reason the PC is not recognising one of the drives, the read only drive. EG; doubleclick My PC - insert a data cd in the cdrw drive and it shows up under the drive letter after a few moments. Insert the same cd in the other drive and nothing happens. When trying to read from the read only drive during the copy process, we are repeatedly told there is nothing in the drive or its not working. System Manager says all is ok. Any advice would be most welcome. I have run SFC and all seems ok.

woodchip 19:11 27 Aug 03

If it's a CD you have created the CD drive may be too old to recognise the CDRW format. try a different CD in the drive

woodchip 19:14 27 Aug 03

PS if you want to copy the CD you created put the disc in the CDRW and click copy it will ask you for a disc when it's ready for it. Do not have any thing in the other drive.

wotbus@ 20:46 28 Aug 03

Basically its this: I put an audio/data cd in drive D read/write tray-it and it shows up. Put the same cd in drive F read tray, and nothing shows up.

graham√ 20:59 28 Aug 03

Could it be that Drive F is faulty? Or the cable connector has become unseated? You could try swopping the D and F cables to prove.

woodchip 22:45 28 Aug 03

No as I said it probably cannot read a CDR. try a Mag CD or one that's got music on it. I think you will find that it works OK.

But If you want to copy a audio/data cd, Put it in the CDRW drive and choose copy disc do not have a disc in the other drive, when its ready it will ask for a blank disc to copy to

wotbus@ 22:22 30 Aug 03

Back in cooler Normandy now with the problem unresolved. I don't think the drive was faulty and suspect it was along the lines of the solution woodchip suggested.I discovered later the PC had something called a Zoltec Virtual Drive controller fitted (?) so as I had no knowledge of this or what it does, we left everything alone.I will chat by email later to see if his problem persists but meanwhile thanks for trying to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…