No boot loader? Ubuntu installed

Simsy 17:22 09 Aug 07

Folks,

I've just installed UBUNTU, having previously created suitable partitions for the main Ubuntu and Swap partitions...

The install seemed to go OK, and eventually told me to reboot. Having done so I expected to be offered some kind of boot menu asking me whether I wanted to boot into XP or Linux, but I'm not presented with such a choice; It just goes straight into Windows XP.

It's just as though I haven't been through the Linux install process at all!!

Any suggestions?

In case it's relevant the "boot.ini" file in the root of the C drive, the XP system hasn't been changed by the install. Somewhere along the install route I did see the "Grub" was, apparently, being installed. I didn't change any of the settings during the install, just chose my region etc.

Thanks in anticpation,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 17:29 09 Aug 07

Looking at, and exploring, the Linux partition using Paragon Partition Manager, there does appear to be a folder called "Grub" within the folder called "Boot", so I assume this means it has installed?

Regards,

Simsy

Jimmy14 17:34 09 Aug 07
  Simsy 19:25 09 Aug 07

I've had no joy with that.

Because of the way I put my PC together some time ago, WindowsXP is actually on the first partition of the SLAVE HD. Ubuntu is installed on the 2nd Partition of the same drive...

Therefore I'm assuming that my boot drive is hd1, not hd0...

I have adjusted the advice given accordingly and the following is what I get;

grub> root (hd1,0)

grub> setup (hd1)

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition

Any further advice is welcome!

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 20:28 09 Aug 07

but I'm not sure how!

First I tried going through the re-install process again, paying special attention to any options, but to no avail.

It then occurred to me that perhaps the boot loader had been loaded onto the main, rather than slave HDD, so I rebooted and forced it to boot from the main HDD and lo and behold a boot up menu!

As my bios is set to boot from the slave normally when the PC starts it will boot into windows. I can however, easily choose which HDD to boot from when the bios is running just by pressing a key; it berings up a boot menu without changing the bios defaults.

As I will be usually using windows this situation actuallly suits me very well as if I want windows it wont even wait for the Grub to load and go to default!

Thanks for your help anyway. It got me thinking in the right direction!

regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced