no boot disk

palinka 18:22 23 Jul 04

Just installed a new DVD/CD RW. Switch on pc and get message "Searching for boot record from floppy...not found" and "insert boot disk in A".
I don't have a boot disk; where do I go from here? Help!(OS is ME)

son-of-a-gun 18:49 23 Jul 04

Sounds to me like your BIOS is set up wrong, and is only taking the DVD for BOOT and ignoring the Hd. Check you did'nt knock off or dislodge any cable from the HD

palinka 19:10 23 Jul 04

No, I can't find anything dislodged . I was particularly careful as I don't usually go into my pc, I stick to software updates/modifications.

SEASHANTY 19:18 23 Jul 04

Think you may have accidentally pulled a cable. Check that the IDE ribbon cables are fully seated on the pins at bothe the hard drive connections at both the drive and motherboard sockets.

son-of-a-gun 20:56 23 Jul 04

Remove the cable's from your DVD go back to original, but I'm still convinced you have a bad connection from ribbon to mobo or Hd.

Did you change anything in the BIOS

palinka 21:16 23 Jul 04

No, didn't change anything in the BIOS.I'll check the connections again.

the-george 21:23 23 Jul 04

A couple of suggestions that will only take a short time to try.

firstly check that you have not left a non-system disk in the floppy drive as this will cause similar messages to the ones you have.

Secondly, try and boot up from a boot disk. This will then allow you to check if the hard drive ( and the cd etc) can be accessed ( type C: then hit return key then type dir then return key and contemnts of hard drive should be displayed). If the hard drive cannot be accessed then try the bios to see if it has been detected there. If not then auto detect to see if it is picked up.

if still no joy then it is probably a bad connection as suggested earlier.

the-george 21:25 23 Jul 04

Sorry, you said you didn't have a boot disk. You will have to beg, borrow or download one on some other PC.
Try click here

the-george 21:28 23 Jul 04

Not my night - also forgot to mention that when in bios check that the hard drive is listed as a boot device - usually comes after the floppy.

kakellie 21:55 23 Jul 04

highly unlikley but could the jumper pin for the hard drive come loose

woodchip 22:15 23 Jul 04

You should set the DVDrw to Slave on the jumper at the back of the drive before you connected the drive. they are both, That is if the are on the same cable Hard Drive and DVDrw set to Master. The Hard Drive Sould be on Master and the DVDrw set to slave on the same cable

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…