//some 3rd party need geo

No Boot Disc Found

rawprawn 07:32 09 May 06

Yesterday I turned on my machine and after the Dell flash screen got this message "No boot disc found, press F1 to try again or F2 for set up" I tried to reboot about 4/5 times including trying to boot from the XP CD with no success so I opened the machine and checked for loose connections but found nothing wrong. When I turned on again it booted with no trouble. Can anyone offer any advice/reasons how this could happen, I feel there must have been something loose but found nothing

VideoSentry 08:49 09 May 06

It so9unds like when you looked for the loose connection you found one without realising it and solved the problem.But I still believe that some pewters do have a mind of their own!

Totally-braindead 08:57 09 May 06

I agree with VideoSentry that is the most likely explanation. It doesn't take much for a lead to be loose, it doesn't have to be hanging off or anything. The proof will be in whether it keeps running normally or the problem reappears. If it keeps running normally then it was definately the leads being loose that caused it and you fixed it. How clever is that, fixing something without even realising you did it?

rawprawn 09:06 09 May 06

Thanks guys, thats what I figured. I didn't realise I had magic healing powers.I just wondered if there could be any other explanation, but I guess not, as it's running sweet this morning. The only cooment I would make, and it could be paranoia is that my HD sounds noisier.

Diodorus Siculus 09:23 09 May 06

[quote]my HD sounds noisier[/quote]

Better to be paranoid and safe - if you have space and funds, add another hard drive or an external drive as a backup measure.

At the very least, try to ensure that your backups are current.

Simsy 09:35 09 May 06

I'd be inclined to think that hard disc failure is on the way, or at least to prepare for it!

I'd get an image, (True Image, Ghost, or similar), of the drive onto another medium, either another HDD, or CD's/DVDs.

Then you'll be prepared if/when the HDD does completely fail!

good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Totally-braindead 09:40 09 May 06

I must admit I hadn't really thought of it but the advice given is sensible. I'm the same as you when something goes wrong I start imagining all sorts of things but if its not your imagination? Better to be safe and back up if you can. Just in case.

rawprawn 09:40 09 May 06

Thanks for your replies, I already have a second HD and it is fully backed up using Acronis True Image. I know these things are unpredictable and "Sods Law" but my C: is only about 12 months old so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…