No boot device

jsjr44 15:38 11 Aug 06

Dell desktop was running when I left. Upon return I noticed the screen was blank. Moved mouse and PC tried to reboot, only to say no boot device could be found. Running windows XP. Tried to reboot and now hard drive is making noises. Help!

Chris147 15:42 11 Aug 06

Which version of Windows are you running?

jsjr44 15:46 11 Aug 06

XP Professional

Chris147 15:55 11 Aug 06

OK.

If you can get to another WinXP PC, copy the following 3 files (from the C drive - you may need to 'unhide' them in the Tools, Folder Options menu) to floppy:

boot.ini , NTDETECT.COM , ntldr

Now boot your PC and enter the BIOS (usually Del or F2 during boot). Change the first boot device to floppy A: - making sure HDD0 (your hard drive) is the second boot device).

Insert the floppy and reboot. If the PC boots, copy the files on the floppy to your hard drive.

If the PC still wont boot, get a copy of a Win98/ME bootdisk and (at the A:> prompt) type:

fdisk / mbr

If this STILL doesn't work your hard drive has died - sad, but not uncommon.

Chris.

Chris147 15:56 11 Aug 06

That should be:

fdisk /mbr

sorry.

jsjr44 15:59 11 Aug 06

Thank You. I will try that.

rawprawn 16:11 11 Aug 06

One other thing to try, reseat the IDE Cable or better still try another one. I had the same problem on a Dell machine, and after a lot of searching it turned out to be the cable

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…