No boot up after replacing CMOS battery

struddy 15:23 06 Oct 06

As my time and date did not keep up, I replaced the button battery on the motherboard.(the old battery was removed for two days).Now the computer will not boot, all I get is a flashing curser at the top left of my moniter.

woodchip 15:28 06 Oct 06

Have you put the battery in the correct way round If not it may have done the CMOS chip in

struddy 15:34 06 Oct 06

The battery was inserted the correct way + up as was the old one

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:37 06 Oct 06

CAn you get into the BIOS?

set the CMOS to auto detect the hard drives.

woodchip 15:41 06 Oct 06

Is there a CMOS clear jumper? if so move it to clear CMOS you need the power off at wall socket and remove CMOS battery then put the jumper back in run position pin 1 and 2 replace CMOS battery

struddy 15:43 06 Oct 06

No I unable to get in to the BIOS as It does not get as far post.

struddy 15:48 06 Oct 06

Woodchip
I have tried the jumper to clear CMOS to no avail.when I change the jumper with the battery removed should I turn the power on and then off.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:01 06 Oct 06

Can't see the point of shorting two pins when there is no power across the pins?

Switch off and uplugg PC with battery in use jumper across pins to clear CMOS leave for a few seconds.

Put jumper back to normal position BEFORE plugging in and powering on the PC.

Use appropriate key (ESC F1 Del) while booting to enter BIOS.

struddy 16:42 06 Oct 06

Thanks Fruit Bat I have tried as you suggested but nothing.My computer is a 4 year old Evesham so it looks as if I will have to upgrade to a new motherboard.

woodchip 17:02 06 Oct 06

In my manual you have to remove all power 230volt and Cmos Battery then move the jumper to clear then back to run

struddy 21:13 06 Oct 06

Thank you woodchip and fruit bat for your help.
Problem solved. I had to change some dip switches and move a jumper to get into jumpfree mode, this allowed me to get into the BIOS to set defaults.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…