NO BOOT after Memory Change

GazMaz 11:23 25 Jun 05

I wonder if anyone has any idea's.

I did a memory upgrade, took all the appropriate precations, I even used a anti static wrist band, but now when I turn the PC on the HDD light stays steady and the machine won't boot. So I put the old memory back in and nothing still the same result, I have tried the individual memory sticks to see if one has developed a fault nothing. Has any one any idea's?

System Win2000
Original Mem 512 upgrade attempt 2gb, ASUS A7V333 Motherboard, AMD 1900+ Processor.

De Marcus 11:38 25 Jun 05

try resetting the bios, refer to your manual for the correct jumpers to short on the motherboard.

Gongoozler 11:41 25 Jun 05

First check that you haven't disturbed any connections. The memory is often located in an inaccessible corner of the motherboard, and it's very easy to dislodge an IDE connector in the process.

Giggle n' Bits 12:09 25 Jun 05

make sure the (usually) white Gates at each end of the memory Click shut ! and also Memory will only fit into the Dimm slot 1 way round, you have to line up a little recess to a hole on the underneath of the memory.

What was the memory fitted before and what have you added ?

GazMaz 13:30 25 Jun 05

The Mem fitted was 512mb new was 2gb, new was Crucial, old was not (can't see who's).
Yes the mem was in place, unfortunatley.

GazMaz 07:25 29 Jun 05

OK some further details and assistant required.

My motherboard has gone, ie it's not working, so I have another one on route. I have also been told that I have CRC errors on my primary hard drive, I have two hard drives both 80gb, one I use as a backup.
The second hard drive hasn't been checked but I hope it's OK. And prior to this test and the motherboard not booting the Primary Drive was working.

I run Win 2000 and have been told that if I change the motherboard win2k will need repairing reinstalling, becasue of the hardware change (like XP) is this correct?

I have also been told I could install win2k on to my second drive without losing the backed up data that is currently there, is this correct?

I won't know if the Hard drive will boot until I get the new motherboard. Does anyone have any other suggestions of actions I could take before jumping in?

dan11 08:54 29 Jun 05

" I run Win 2000 and have been told that if I change the motherboard win2k will need repairing reinstalling, because of the hardware change (like XP) is this correct? "

Yes. Repair 2000 walk through.
click here

" I have also been told I could install win2k on to my second drive without losing the backed up data that is currently there, is this correct? "

Only if the backup hard drive is partitioned. Yet another good reason for partitioning the hard drive. You can use one of the partitions to do a fresh install. It does not have to be "C" of the new drive. You can install 2000 on D,E,F etc, if it has the space and the partitions. But the partition will have to be formatted. So hopefully, you have all your important data on one partition and data that is not important on another.

"Does anyone have any other suggestions of actions I could take before jumping in? "

Can you put the backup drive into a XP or 2000 system. Transfer all your valuable data either to cdr, dvd or a folder on the XP machine. You could then have the option of, when the new board comes and if the repair doesn't work. You may have to face facts that the primary has gone. You will then have to work on the backup drive. If you have just the primary partition and no other, you will have to backup. Even if you do have a partition you can use to install 2000, for safety of your data, you must backup to be 100% sure you loose nothing.

GazMaz 19:25 29 Jun 05

OK not sure I've made myself clear when I say I have another drive, I mean I have 2 off 80gb Drives one C: the other D:.
The D: Drive is the one I back to hasn't been Partitioned (if fact neither are partitioned) so I assume I cannot setup Win2K onto that drive with out overwriting the backed up Data?
If I get the current primary Drive up and running what are the possibilities of Clonning (or do they call it ghosting) to a new drive and then changing that new drive to the Primary, there are loads of setting's, programs etc etc etc that I really do not want to have to go through re-setting/installing?

dan11 23:21 29 Jun 05

If you can get the old "C" drive up and running, then yes you could clone it to a new slave drive.

The new should have software to do this ( if retail boxed ) or you could download it off the manufacturers web site, if the drive is OEM.

The best cloning software I have used is acronis true image, click here. Unfortunately it has to be bought. Though they are some older versions available on magazine disks.

GazMaz 08:29 30 Jun 05

Sorry dan quick question if I repair W2K do I loose current setting's and data on that drive, or does it do it to pick up the new hardware config?

dan11 10:56 30 Jun 05

No problem.:-)

If you can manage to do the repair operation. All your files and settings should be intact. What you will loose are the updates from Microsoft for windows 2000.

All it does is to check and re-write the files from the windows disk. Every thing else is untouched.

If you decide to repair, good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…