No BOOT ?

Mike@#36 17:22 19 Oct 03

Yesterday my Dad was shutting down his PC (Win98se) but the process would not complete. He had to use the manual power button in the end to turn it off. However it will not now turn on.
When the button is pressed the fan etc comes to life, the keyboard lights flicker but that's it, no windows 98 screen - just a blank monitor. I have tried putting the Win98 disc in the CD drive to see if it will boot from that without sucess. In fact there is no noise from the Hard Drive or any other drive to sugest it is trying to boot at all.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem is. or any posible solutions ?

spikeychris 17:29 19 Oct 03

Can you get into the BIOS

Diemmess 18:05 19 Oct 03

I would have expected an error bleep of some kind if there was a board or card failure.

If I am right, then try starting with the monitor data cable detached. Without the expected "handshake" there should be a bleep or two.

Otherwise make a thorough check that eveything is plugged in and nothing in the wrong hole!

If you have a truly blank screen but all lights and fans start then as spikeychris says see if you can get into the BIOS. There should be some signal on the monitor even a message saying No signal otherwise ---- back to the start of this.

Mike@#36 18:10 19 Oct 03

He was using the PC fine until trying to shut it down so all connections must be OK.

There are no beeps or anything. The monitor has a standard test pane that appears but when the PC is turned on it's as if it is not making contact with the monitor.

With no boot it is difficult to get to the BIOS unless you know different.

Mike

What about if you insert a boot floppy and then boot up? Do you get anything at all on the screen when you switch on, ram check, drives found, files loaded etc? Even with a dead drive, you always get the basic stuff at the start. You could always try changing the graphics card, just in case, however unlikely, the original one died. Stranger things have happened.

J

Mike@#36 18:54 19 Oct 03

A Floppy Boot is something I did not try so will give it a go and get back to you.

robit 19:16 19 Oct 03

I've had this problem before and it turned out to be the memory sticks needed reseating.It could even be a faulty motherboard.

Mike@#36 08:58 21 Oct 03

Have tried to reboot using a boot floppy, however the process doesn't even check the floppy drive. Could this be a BIOS problem?

Mike

Diemmess 16:22 21 Oct 03

Serious card failure usually generates an error bleep. Video - several or one long bleet. Mobo/CPU failure a two tone continuos warble.

You have the usual monitor "here I am" screen and then nothing. -- just possible a break in one conductor in monitor cable or socket for the video card.

If you watch the HD light does that carry out a series of flickers suggesting that the computer might be reading from it during a normal bootup? I mean there is normally a slight background rhythm at bootup which might be occuring anyway if the fault is in the display.

If it is a display circuit fault then sooner or later if you have sound, you will hear the Windows opening "music."

"He was using the PC fine until trying to shut it down so all connections must be OK."............

Not necessarily so, it has to be worth making sure, by re-plugging all the video connections and the memory chips. If the Video card is a PCI then try another slot. Can you borrow another monitor briefly just to try it.

If all these have been tried then something slight but critcal must have happened at the motherboad, but "to go quietly" has not been my experience.

Mike@#36 18:55 21 Oct 03

I have checked all the normal Boot Routine signs such as lights flickering and noise from the drive. However nothing !, in fact when I put the Floppy Boot disk in it didn't even check that drive, which it should do before moving on to the the CD drive then HD etc.
We have also re connected all the cables so are at the end of all the obvious checks.
As this is all organised by the BIOS I wondered if it needed a new battery?

Mike

Diemmess 19:18 21 Oct 03

Generally a dud battery will only upset the clock and calendar, and at most may allow a reset of the BIOS to the factory default settings. It really shouldn't make all that much difference at the boot sequence.

I suppose there are exceptions, and I hope revival of this thread will bring someone in to help with a miraculous remedy, but with my limited experience I would be thinking about the best way to replace the motherboard/CPU or perhaps more economically the box itself, particularly if you have tried an alternative monitor and data cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…