no bios on startup

bigmike 10:35 02 Mar 05

Hi! My updated desktop works just fine, but has recently needed to be switched on and off up to 5 times before the BIOS initiates and normal booting takes place. Otherwise the system runs with CD-Rom light drive flicker etc, but no start-up 'beep' and the nothing on the screen.
Any ideas guys?
Big Mike

Yoda Knight 10:51 02 Mar 05

I have a similar problem that started since I reinstalled XP. Will be watching this thread with interest....

bigmike 15:14 02 Mar 05

Ah, interesting. I'm on Win 98SE, with an Award BIOS, Via chipset, in a much modified Olivetti Xana case. Athlon 1700 processor. Something is stopping the initiation when power is applied the first few times.

igr 15:36 02 Mar 05

Clear CMOS and reboot (check your bios settings) and reboot again

igr 15:40 02 Mar 05

Second thoughts, as part of the BIOS set up you have options to force the Bios display or just boot up without all that guff on display. Check in the BIOS settings.

FelixTCat 15:41 02 Mar 05

I suspect that your psu may not be man enough for the job, especially if you have recently fitted more drives or a graphics card that needs a secondary power supply.

I had this and found I had to disconnect the DVD, start the machine and as soon as it started to boot, switch it off, reconnect the DVD and reboot. Once everything had started spinning, the psu could cope, but it couldn't run them all up from cold.

bigmike 17:28 02 Mar 05

Thanks all,
You've given some useful tips. I'll report back!

bigmike 09:04 25 Mar 05

Now then ... after masterly inaction, I notice the problem is lessening. I now suspect humidity/temperature to be a cause? I've moved a tank of orchids away from the nearby radiator, so their moisture is no longer being wafted near the drive unit. Can it be as silly as that?

FelixTCat 11:26 25 Mar 05

Your pc probably didn't like the smell of the orchids. You have to pamper them, you know. Try geraniums.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…