No BIOS boot

CDM2008 22:58 16 Jan 08

My PC fired up and reported an error in the CMOS check sum and an error with the floppy drive but then booted and worked fine. However, the next time there was nothing at all. No recognising and listing the drives etc, no feed to the monitor, nothing at all. I have changed the battery and shorted the CMOS, still nothing. Any ideas? And how do I recover the data from the partitioned hard drive?

skidzy 07:06 17 Jan 08

Remove the drive and connect in another pc and make it slave,you can then reclaim the data providing the drive is not dead.

Or,use a usb caddy,place the drive in the caddy and connect to another pc using the usb cable provided with the caddy.

Or simply use a usb adaptor cable.

Any more help needed,just let us know.

xania 08:56 17 Jan 08

I suspect the clue lies with that previous 'CMOS check sum and an error with the floppy drive'. Re data, I agree with skidzy, but if you can wait, let's sort out the other problem first. How far do you get before the PC freezes. Have you tried rebooting without the floppy drive connected? Disconnect at the motherboard end to eliminate both floppy and cable problems.

CDM2008 12:22 20 Jan 08

Tried disconnecting all drives in turn as well as various combinations all to no avail. Looks to me like the motherboard has failed for some reason. Is this likely/ possible for no apparent reason#?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:42 20 Jan 08

Yes its ossible also possible the PSU has failed.

Do you get any leds, fans CD/DVD or HDD activity?

CDM2008 15:33 20 Jan 08

Everything seemed to be working/ lighting up except the bios check routine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced