no beeps

roger45 21:37 12 Aug 06

I have built a low cost system based on an Asrock k7s41GX motherboard and it works fine except that there is no startup beep.
There is chassis speaker connector on the board marked +5v : dummy: dummy: speaker: where +5v is pin 1.

Not sure what to connect to this 4 pin socket,or how.
With the case was supplied a small cylindrical transducer with two wires, black and red and i' ve tried connecting this to the socket,
(red to +5v) but still no beeps.
Have seen similar type components on other motherboards,but it's not on the Asrock,also i've seen small transistor radio type loudspeakers
mounted on other computer chassis-is this what i require?
Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

p.s. does +5v mean 5volts D.C. ,and would this not cause damage if connected to a small speaker?

woodchip 21:42 12 Aug 06

It will only beep if the MOBO is connected to the Computer Case internal Speaker or if it as a motherboard inbuilt one. My XP desktop is just the same and as been since I bought it

roger45 22:24 12 Aug 06

There is no internal speaker in the case,only a separate component supplied with the case and am not sure how to connect this to the 4 pin mobo socket.
So i shall have to remain beepless.Thanks anyway!

woodchip 22:40 12 Aug 06

You could geta small speaker from Comp chop or Comp Fair. Even Dumpit site of old computer it's only a two wire job and the connects to the speaker pins down bottom right corner of motherboard. It should work either way round

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…