No Autorun on DVD Rom

Gigs 12:28 23 Aug 03

My system runs on Win 98 and I have a DVD Rom and a CD Writer installed.
My problem is that sometimes the autorun works and sometimes it does not.
Having used a CD successfully I sometimes have trouble ejecting it and I have to go into MY Computer, right click and choose eject. When I insert a new CD it fails to autorun. Going back into My Computer the drive still shows the previous CD as still being in there.
It then becomes necessary to shut down Windows and restart, occasionally more than once, to clear it.
I have noticed that sometimes, if I Ctrl, Alt, Delete, msqsrv32 is not responding. Is this something to do with it?
I would appreciate any suggestions.

Gigs 12:56 23 Aug 03

refresh

hugh-265156 13:16 23 Aug 03

could be the disc is slightly damaged or your lazer lens is dirty and its not reading the discs correctly.

my cdr drive does this with cheap cdr and cdrw discs,i have to sometimes eject it and reload it to get the drive to see it.better quality discs work perfectly.

updating the firmware may also improve disc handling if its a compatability issue.

Gigs 14:32 23 Aug 03

Thanks for that. It happens with pre-recorded disks as well as my own. Is there any way to clean lazer lenses?
Sorry to be thick, what is the firmware.
Thanks

hugh-265156 14:55 23 Aug 03

any music store will sell the lens cleaner or argos.a cd cleaner will clean both cd and dvd drive.

firmware is similar to bios and has to be flashed the same.this can include fixes for say certain brands of disc not working or errors etc.check the manafacturers website for info.

Gigs 15:43 23 Aug 03

Appreciate your help. Thankyou. I'll try the lens cleaner and check the website.
Gigs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…