No audio sound after XP installation

pcbobby 14:44 22 Apr 07

I carried out a clean XP Home SP2, install on my daughter’s PC.
We find that there is no audio sound. I used the Belarc Adviser and it shows, Multimedia as MPU-401 Compatible MIDI device.
I also checked the Device manager, and found that in Other Devices, they were all Yellow ? Marks, against the following items : Multimedia audio, PCI and VGA.

I do not have any drivers CD’s for this PC.
The PC is AMD Duron.
1.3Ghz
256MB RAM
The main circuit board is ECS K7SOM+1.o

Would appreciate any help in restoring sound.

CLONNEN 15:02 22 Apr 07

You need to find out what the name of your soundcard is and then go to the manufacturers site to download the correct driver for it.

Try a System Information program such as :

Everest

Belarc Advisor

SIW (System Information for Windows)

PC Wizard

or you could try Unknown Device Identifier

Stuartli 15:03 22 Apr 07

If you have onboard sound (likely with an Elite motherboard), check in the Bios that onboard sound could be listed as AC '97) is Enabled.

Windows, when it boots up, should Find New Hardware and reinstall the drivers.

If not, you need to check whether the onboard sound chipset is by C-Media, Realtek or another manufacturer (the specification seems to indicate it's a C-Media CMI9738A); the driver can be found at:

click here

Choose the chipset and your operating system.

pcbobby 15:10 22 Apr 07

Clonnen. thank you.

Stuartli, thank you, I will follow though

pcbobby 17:31 22 Apr 07

Stuartli, sorry for the long delay, but I could not access PCA.

Your advice was spot on!
My daughter says that you are great, she can now lister to her music!

I have installed a second HD in my PC.Everything works OK on first HD.On second HD there is no sound .The SB audigy has latest drivers,there are no conflicts .I have gone through directX diagnostic /trouble shooter it cant help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…