no audio output device installed

carlos!> 12:00 15 Jun 08

I have urgraded my computer from vista basic to ultimate and was working fine until i tried to play some music and i found out there was no sound.

I looked at the symbol for sound and it said no audio output device installed.

But when i looked into device manager the siigma tel sound device was installed and working correctly but still no sound so i this i was i have tried so far-

reinstalling the sound driver in device manager, updating the driver from and uninstalling removing the speakers then restarting the pc and reinserting the speakers and allowing the computer to find a driver.

These all failed to work so now I need help if any one has suggestions please leave a comment and thank you

chub_tor 12:37 15 Jun 08

You are not alone with the problem of drivers for the Sigmatel Audio on Vista. I haver tried at least a dozen fixes from advice given on Google all to no avail.

The only way that I can get the sound to work is to use the generic High Definition Audio Device from Microsoft. Go to Device Manager and Uninstall the Sigmatel driver - make sure that when you uninstall that the remove driver box is ticked. Then go to the top of Device Manager and click on Search for New Hardware. This should install the default driver and I know that this works for Vista Home Premium.

If you find another driver that works please let us know. The only difficulty I have with the Microsoft driver is that it doesn't work on my front panel headphone socket.

carlos!> 13:11 15 Jun 08

yeah thanks i did that and i installed this driver click here

i installed the driver that is sixth on the list and now my headphones work but not speakers
its a start i guess. if i get the speakers working i will tell you how.

ambra4 13:16 15 Jun 08
  chub_tor 15:43 15 Jun 08

I tried the Dell R14707 driver and got the message " Device not present. Driver could not be installed"

I also tried the Gateway drivers 20361, 20260 and 20127 with no luck.

chub_tor 15:50 15 Jun 08

Regarding the apcmag page I have been to the board supplier's page in my case ECS and they do not have any sound drivers that work for my chipset - none that work with Vista SP1 anyway.

The two links referenced by apcmag are broken links - probably because the article was written way back in 2007 and they wouldn't have known about SP1 anyway.

As I said the Microsoft High Definition Audio Device driver works for me through the rear speakers but not the front panel. Of course all is fine with XP!

Stuartli 15:54 15 Jun 08

Know nothing about Vista - does it have a Control Panel?

If so, then presumably you would be able to configure the audio component as the Default device, whether on-board or sound card, from the equivalent of Sounds and Audio Devices?

chub_tor 16:14 15 Jun 08

Ok I just checked and the Dell drivers that I tried which did not work were R167846, R173209, R167846, R173209 and R147073. But the one you linked to R147075 does work for me! I have just checked it with both headphones on the front panel and with speakers and it seems OK. Sorry that I can't solve your machine, but thanks for fixing mine.

chub_tor 16:31 15 Jun 08

Well I was a little hasty the driver sort of works as it lets me use the front headphone socket but not the front microphone socket. So I have a choice, no front headphones but front microphone with the Microsoft driver or front headphones but no front microphone with the Dell driver.

chub_tor 16:47 15 Jun 08

Just checked and the microphone doesn't work in the rear socket either. Yes I have used two different microphones and Yes I have checked that the microphone input is not muted. Back to the old Microsoft driver and no front panel headphones again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now