No audio on new computer

zoobie 02:26 14 Jan 04

I just bought a new XP2600 board and K7 processor with onboard audio. However, there's no audio playing from the cd player. It reads other non-music data...just doesn't play audio cd's. There's a driver with c-media 3d audio control panel installed and audio is heard when I click on my .wav files in windows explorer but not .wav sites online. Is there a remedy for this? Someone said the board was so new, it doesn't support Win98se...Is this true? Thanks

tafoody 02:41 14 Jan 04

you haven't given much info on what motherboard you have, make/model?

it could be that new hardware comes with XP drivers, and perhaps win98 drivers are available online?

zoobie 05:49 14 Jan 04

Well, like I said, it's a AMD Athlon XP-2600 with a c-media ac97 audio device...
I find it hard to believe that the board's just too new to support win98se...jeez.

zoobie 06:07 14 Jan 04

Wait...I've got it going a little...but the volume's really low. Strange seeing how this is a pretty powerful box..I've turned up the volume just about all the way up but it's still low...Any suggestions?
Thanks

coffee cup 06:16 14 Jan 04

If you are using windows 98, try this.

Go to control panel, multimedia and open it up. Now pick the tab for c\d music. There is a tick box for " enable digital audio music on this drive". Tick the box and reboot.

Now try a c\d in without the volume on full. lol

zoobie 06:41 14 Jan 04

OK...I did that...but it's still playing softly with every volume control turned up...ugh

coffee cup 17:21 14 Jan 04

Is there a sound icon in the system tray. Have you open up the properties to see if any of the settings are on either mute or very low?

As far as I know, ac97 should work also on win98, well it does on mine!!

fredo3 17:42 14 Jan 04

Get windows xp zoobie!!
you're living in prehistoric times.

Yes I'm hearing stories of win98 not running on some latest generation boards.

You've still not told us the make/model.

xp2600 board is not enough info

Stuartli 17:47 14 Jan 04

C-Media has an FAQ page on its website but, first, is onboard sound enabled in the Bios, even though you can hear some?

There are also driver upgrades on the website.

I used to use the C-Media 8738 onboard chipset - great sound for such an inexpensive chip; you can buy PCI card with it on for £4-£6!

zoobie 21:56 14 Jan 04

My speaker icon disappeared in the system tray...Yes, I've heard it doesn't like win98se but I'm stuck with it until I figure out how to upgrade to winXP. I have an XP upgrade disk but it says I'm missing some files. I'll check out the c-media website. How do I get my speaker icon back? Thanks

tafoody 22:02 14 Jan 04

control panel\multimedia\audio\show volume control on the taskbar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…