No Audio Mixer

Paulo1992 21:30 19 Mar 08

Hi Guys

I recently rebooted my computer with windows xp because it was running very slow. Once it had rebooted i went to play some music i had on my external hardrive and i got a message saying:

"There are no active mixer devices available......"

I am currently using Logitech X-140 2.0 speakers. They came without an installation cd and when i plugged them in after buying them they worked perfectly without a cd. However this time they are not working.

It would be very helpful if you could come up with any solutions as to how to solve this problem.

Any information needed just ask and i will try my best to find it out lol

Al94 22:29 19 Mar 08

I presume you reinstalled XP rather than a reboot. Maybe your soundcard drivers are missing or corrupt. Try reinstalling it. Maybe you have a cd with the drivers or download from the manufacturers website

Stuartli 23:18 19 Mar 08

I've bought a set of the Logitech X-140 speakers a few days ago.

You don't need an installation disk, drivers or anything else.

They just plug into the onboard sound/sound card's output socket (green collar).

Check from Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel that the configuration is correct and that your sound device is the Default in the Audio and Video tabs.

keef66 10:16 20 Mar 08

As Al94 asks, are we talking about rebooting (turning the pc off and on again) or reinstalling XP?

Right click on My Computer / Manage / Device manager. Any yellow exclamation marks next to anything sound / audio related?

Stuartli 00:12 21 Mar 08

An apology.

The Logitechs (at least in my case) are USB, but the point still stands - you just plug them in and they relay the music...:-)

Paulo1992 13:51 21 Mar 08

"As Al94 asks, are we talking about rebooting (turning the pc off and on again) or reinstalling XP?

Right click on My Computer / Manage / Device manager. Any yellow exclamation marks next to anything sound / audio related?"

I may have only reinstalled a new version

There are yellow question marks next to:

Multimedia Audio Controller
Video Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Any ideas on What to do

Stuartli 14:01 21 Mar 08

You appear to need to reinstall the sound card or onboard sound drivers.

If it's a sound card, go to the manufacturer's website; if it's onboard sound such as C-Media or Realtek, you need to go to the respective website for the sound chipset drivers.

Realtek from:

click here

(check if just AC97 codecs or HD).

C-Media from:

click here

Paulo1992 14:20 21 Mar 08

How do i discover what make my sound card is ?

Jak_1 16:50 21 Mar 08

Sounds like you also need to download and install the video drivers, I had to do that after re-installing XP-Home just a couple of weeks ago.

System analysis tools:

click here

click here

Paulo1992 18:07 21 Mar 08

I have tried to download the realtek driver after finding out that that is the make of my sound card. It downloaded fine however when i go to install it it reboots my computer. At first i thought there may have been a virus attached however i have tried several different downloads.

I have also downloaded the belarc advisor however i do not know how it is going to help me ?

Please write back

Paulo1992 18:09 21 Mar 08

^^^CONTINUED FROM ABOVE ^^^

It didnt cross my mind to tell yous that i can hear the windows beep and start up noise. May be of some help to yous. (rather stupid on my part lol sorry)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017