No audio device installed??

Theman000 18:44 26 Feb 07

Hi,

I have a new Dell dimension E521 with Windows vista premium pre-installed. Yesterday my speakers suddenly stopped working. I have already tried uninstalling the sigmatel drivers, but this didn't help. On the internet I have found evidence that there is a problem with sigmatel audio drivers and windows Vista.
However, the sound worked fine for the first few days, so I doubt this is the cause of the problem.
Under device manager there doesn't appear to be a problem, but the sound icon in the bottom right corner shows a red cross. When looking at the properties it says: " no audio device installed"

On other websites people with an intel motherboard have found compatible drivers off the intel website. I think my motherboard is AMD based, so can anyone please help me?

P.S The problem appears to be widespread. Look for "sigmatel "no audio device installed" in google.

The Brigadier 18:57 26 Feb 07

Could be a conflict with Vista?
Have you contacted Dell to see what they say?
They may well be in a better postion to advise than me.

Jackcoms 18:57 26 Feb 07

You say that you uninstalled the audio drivers but don't mention reinstalling (or updating) them.

Did you?

Alternatively, have you tried System Restore back to a time when your audio was working?

woodchip 19:03 26 Feb 07

May save some annoyances and money, by just getting a PCI Sound card that works with Vista

Theman000 19:03 26 Feb 07

I have looked on the Dell website and downloaded the latest drivers. I have also tried installing the win XP drivers, but nothing worked.
I have only had my computer for a couple of days, so the system hasn't made a system restore point before the adio broke down.

I doubt it is a problem with Vista because the sound worked fine when for the first few days and Vista had been pre-installed. I really don't know what else to do......

Theman000 19:05 26 Feb 07

Woodchip: Usually when there is a incompability issue, Dell notifies you when you "build" your computer. As far as I can remember there were no problems. Do you reckon installing a new sound card would solve the issue?

Jackcoms 19:13 26 Feb 07

Slightly off topic, but you say:

"I have only had my computer for a couple of days, so the system hasn't made a system restore point before the adio broke down".

I would have thought that if your PC had been running for "a couple of days" that it should have created several Restore Points by now.

Is System Restore working/enabled?

Theman000 19:17 26 Feb 07

It is enabled now :-). It was disable when the problem occured, so system restore can be ruled out

woodchip 19:25 26 Feb 07

Yes it would be a quick fix, If you check first that the Card is Compatible with Vista. One way would be to check Sound Card Site for Vista Drivers and see what the text says about Vista and the drivers. you could do this before even shelling out any money

skidzy 19:34 26 Feb 07

Normally Dell will ship the drivers and utilities disc with there systems,check your software package for this disc.

Alternatively,ring them and ask them to send the disc to you...they may well charge you...i believe its about £5-10 for the disc.

skidzy 19:39 26 Feb 07

As most Dells have a dell manager program preinstalled,has this prompted you for a Bios update ? and if so...did you flash the system with the new bios settings.

Mine did over the weekend,im wondering if this has been your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac