No Audio device

johnincrete 08:55 10 Jun 09

At my church we have been given a PC. The previous owner took his hard drive. An "expert" fitted a new HD and it all works OK except there is no sound. Device manager tells me that there is no audio device. There are the usual jack sockets on the back of the computer.
Any ideas what I should do to make it work?

baldydave 10:14 10 Jun 09

You may need to turn on the audio in the bios(black screen with white writing as pc starts)
To enter the bios you need to press del or f2 key(it will say as pc starts,look for enter setup press key,if you see the windows logo it has gone to far to access bios setup)
When in to bios settings look under settings to make sure audio is enabled,then save settings and restart pc.
Windows should now find audio device and install driver,if not you need to download the driver from the motherboard company website.

baldydave 10:18 10 Jun 09

Sorry,
the above only applies if it has onboard audio ie audio connectors are near the other connections eg mouse/ keyboard etc
If on a seperate card ie in a slot on its own it may just need the drivers installing.

Stuartli 10:44 10 Jun 09

If the system has on-board sound then, as baldydave states, you may/will need to Enable it in the Bios.

There are variations on how on-board sound is detailed in the Bios - most likely is AC 97.

If it is on-board sound and the chipset is provided by Realtek or C-Media, then the latest drivers can be downloaded from the appropriate website.

johnincrete 06:14 04 Mar 10

At last, I got this forum reply & myself tyo the church at the same time!! so could try it.
Repeated presses of DEL at startup (F2 had no effect) gave me a screen headed CMOS Setup Utility with 13 options. I went through all of them and found nothing about sound including AC97 or anything like it.
One option was Advance BIOS Features which I opened with great expectations, but, unlike Pip, expectations were dashed !
Any further ideas?

birdface 06:45 04 Mar 10

Maybe try Control panel.Administrative Tools.Services.And scroll down to Windows Audio and make sure it is set to automatic.
or download SIW and it might tell you what sound driver that you need.
Do you have any speakers connected switched on and plugged in.

Sea Urchin 12:06 04 Mar 10

Go to Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Audio tab and make sure that the Sound Default Playback Device is set to your sound card.

As buteman says you may also need to download an appropriate driver - the system will advise that you "have no audio device" even if you have - if the driver is missing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac