No Audio Device

Trickyhicky` 20:05 07 May 07

Before you ask :) I have tried the previous thread on this topic..............................

It doesn't rain here at the tricky household it pours.

My system had the blue screen of death the other day that no amount of rebooting and the like would resolve. An IT bod friend of my brothers found that the config had been corupted by the hard drive getting over heated. He fixed the fault and after he re insatlling XP SP2 I brought it home.

Now I find that I have no sound and there is No Audio Device under the Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices.

I know that before the fault I had the Realtek AC97 drivers for my onboard sound card but now they do not appear in the Device Manager under Sound And Video Game Controllers.

I have been on line and typed in Google No Audio Device and tried the fix

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Component Services > Services. Make sure audio is enabled.
Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Windows Audio. Make sure "Windows Media" service is running. If it's not, right click on this service and select "start".
Start > Control Panel > Sounds (etc) and select a theme (Windows default is OK) -- or none of your sound hardware will work. You did not have to do this in Win9x.

I have also been to Realtek and downloaded the driver for AC 97 at url

click here

with no change.

Has anyone got any idea what is going on and how I get my sound back please.

Tricky

My System is as below.

Operating System System Model

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) MEDIONPC

Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

2.67 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6701
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 09/11/2002
Drives Memory Modules c,d
160.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
63.44 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

JLMS DVD-ROM LTD-165H [CD-ROM drive]
PHILIPS DVDR1648P1 [CD-ROM drive]

Medion Flash XL CF USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Medion Flash XL MS USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
Medion Flash XL SM USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5
Medion Flash XL MMC/SD USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
ST3120023A [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 3KA06FZ5, rev 3.30, SMART Status: Healthy
ST340014A [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 5JXHJZ3C, rev 8.01, SMART Status: Healthy 768 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' has 256 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 60.01 GB 17.18 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 50.32 GB 1.94 GB free
e: (FAT32 on drive 0) 9.69 GB 6.42 GB free
m: (NTFS on drive 1) 40.02 GB 37.91 GB free

Network Drives
None detected

Totally-braindead 20:08 07 May 07

Did you not get either a restore disk or a motherboard driver disk?

Trickyhicky` 20:26 07 May 07

I only have the original Medion XP SP1 disk and the XP SP2 disk.

Why are you suggesting a soft reinstall

trick

wishtobwireless 21:37 07 May 07

have you tried Belarc advisor?
Also could the overheating have affected the sound device?

eedcam 09:29 08 May 07

when you did your reinstall did you then install a load of windows updates ? they can and have been known to give this problem. If so might be worth a restore to before you installed the updates and see if it works.

pontoon 09:55 08 May 07

My Son had this problem, He found a update for windows media player, when he updated it found the driver he needed, all ok now, His problem occured after he reinstalled xp sp2.

Trickyhicky` 18:28 08 May 07

i will try these ideas and get back

birdface 18:45 08 May 07

Now this could be a bit Tricky Hicky,Everytime my son reformats his computer we have to download this, click here= Vinyl Ac 97 Codec Combo Driver it works every time,it may not work for you,but worth a try,Now if it does work,Microsoft will try and download the old version again,Do not let it or you will loose your sound again.Hope it works for you.

birdface 18:51 08 May 07

Bye the way,I could not open your click here for Realtek,All I got was a load of Question marks,Probably the fault is on my side,

birdface 18:59 08 May 07

I don't know a lot about computers,But when helping my son format his,We had a choice to have NTFS or Fat32 I noticed that you have both,Is this normal,Or will you get some kind of conflict.Don't laugh ,like I said I don't know much about computers,

Trickyhicky` 21:00 08 May 07

Dies this mean anything relating to my fault guys it poped up tonight when trying to YET agian reinstall the driver for the on baord sound card
Tricky

Error Information
Error Code: <-5009 : 0x8002802b>
Error Description: <>Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (163)>Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (402)>Kernel\Component.cpp (1163)>Kernel\CABFile.cpp (389)>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1541)pAPP:Realtek AC'97 AudioPVENDOR:Realtek Semiconductor Corp.PGUID:[email protected] XP Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 7.0.5730.11>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…