No audio after XP Pro upgrade

Ken in Molesey 15:22 01 May 07

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100, its been great running XP Home. I now also have XP Pro loaded up as XP Home wouldn't operate Microsoft Exchange Server successfully. So now I can boot-up using XP Home or XP Pro - audio works just fine with XP Home but XP Pro tells me there is no Audio Device! - so, I have no sound in XP Pro.

I have reloaded Dell Notebook System Software, Chipset & Sigmatel several times now and the same problem is still there. Device Manager, in XP Pro, has a black ! in a yellow circle next to the SigmaTel C-Major Audio device.

The audio device is SigmaTel C-Major Audio, 15/11/2004 version 5.10.0.392 and the driver is from the Dell website. The General Tab in Properties for the device says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".

Apart from the very annoying system beep that occurs now and then, I hate working without music and need the audio for business purposes. Can anyone recommend a fix, or suggest what I should do next?

PS Dell suggested I reload the Driver from their website (again) - suprise suprise it didn't work, their next best suggestion was to format my hard disk and start again, what!, my mum could provide better tech support than Dell - anyway I'd rather try another sound card - but as it works in XP Home it must be a software issue. Microsoft referred me to Dell - this is very very annoying.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:51 01 May 07

try this one click here

Ken in Molesey 17:37 01 May 07

Thanks for that Fruit Bat - but unfortunately there is no change. Any other ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…