No array is defined

pc breaker 16:11 31 Mar 03

I have recently built my first PC, with an Asus AV733 motherboard (with RAID support) and Windows XP installed.

On boot up I keep getting a message "scanning IDE drives" followed by an error message "No array is defined". It usggests I press control-F to enter the fast build utility to define the array.
However, on doing this, another error message appears along the lines of "unable to find disc. Check cable and power connections". I am unabl3e to choose any of the options such as auto configure array.

The thing is, I have only one hard disc in the machine, so I would only expect it to find one IDE drive. Is the array only relevant where one has 2 IDE drives? Do I need to disable the RAID controller if I have only one drive and if so how do I do this?

Any advice/explanation would be appreciated

Many thanks.

spikeychris 16:22 31 Mar 03

The no "array defined" message is from the RAID bios indicating it is not been set up to
work. You should disable it if you are not going to use it.

Boot to BIOS and look for it, select dissable.

Chris

spikeychris 16:31 31 Mar 03

What a pathetic first answer...

In the BIOS look for Integrated
Peripherals under the title Onboard Promise Chip...you should be able
to "enable" or "disable" and set it to "ATA" or "RAID"

Chris

pc breaker 16:41 31 Mar 03

Thanks for the advice spikeychris.

I did go through the BIOS settings to see if there was anything obvious in there but was unable to find anything that resolved the error message. However I will have another look in light of this advice, so thanks for that.

Is it possible I need to do something physically to the motherboard? I have a feeling that there might be something on there that overrides the BIOS settings anyway.

If I don't do anything the machine does eventually proceed to boot up regardless but it takes quite a long time.

spikeychris 16:43 31 Mar 03

Yeah this will speed up the boot process by a vast amount as it will not look for the extra drive.

How are your jumper settings set.

Chris

wawadave 16:48 31 Mar 03

hello
some mobo,s have jumper settings to enable raid as well as a bios setting.
try clicking on items in bios menu and seee if a sub menu comes up often times in window on right side.allso goto mobo makers sight and d/l manual.
have a nice day

pc breaker 23:52 02 Apr 03

It was the jumper settings on the motherboard overriding the BIOS settings. Problem now solved by altering the jumper . Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…