no accsess to norton

peg 21:19 09 Aug 05

windows XP pro
when I try to run anything to do whith norton internet security including try to uninstall it I just get erro box (symantec itegrator incountered problem and needs to close )I cannot even accsess there web site although no problems with internet.cannot install or uninstall or update. anyone any ideas
peg

madPentium 21:44 09 Aug 05

I believe this is a virus but I cant remember the name of it. I do remember having to edit the hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
The virus adds prohibited sites (including symantec) to the bottom of the file.
I believe there are various registry changes to do too, Im sorry I cant remember the virus name but symantec does have a removal tool.
Maybe my post will prompt someone who remembers the virus name ?

GaT7 22:05 09 Aug 05

Try click here. G

peg 20:44 11 Aug 05

thanks for your reponse. is the virus name TROJ DLOADER.RH I recently removed this from my system or thought I had.

GaT7 23:23 11 Aug 05

peg, did you try the scan as recommended in the link? G

peg 21:46 16 Aug 05

thanks for the link G just get :page cannot be displayed: just about everything linked to symantec, even windows update, and other anti virus sites are a no go.dont want to mess with reg files only as last resort. cheers peg

VoG II 21:53 16 Aug 05

Did you try the hosts file?

peg 22:32 16 Aug 05

host file,,,pass not that advanced, wot is a host file and wot can I do to it ? just done online scan at trendmicro came up clean..

GaT7 22:40 16 Aug 05

Some info on the Hosts file click here
& click here. G

VoG II 22:42 16 Aug 05

Maybe you should have posted you question hereclick here

In Windows Explorer navigate to C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

where you will find the hosts file. Right click it and select Rename. Change it to hosts.old and restart your computer.

peg 20:07 18 Aug 05

would enties in the host file stop me from unistalling norton through :ADD AND REMOVE,or accessing anything to do with norton including the cd.my host file contains plenty of references to symantec do i just delete these.
renamed host file "hosts old, no joy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…