No Access To Registry Key

dogbreath1 14:53 05 Apr 08

Have just tried installing Windows Live Mail (WLM) on an XP (fully updated) machine.

It wouldn't install giving the error message, 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Feature Control\FEATURE_RESTRICT_FILEDOWNLOAD Verify that you have access rights to that key...

The account being used to install WLM does have administrator rights, but I decided to have a look at the registry key concerned.

Navigating to it resulted in the message, 'Cannot open FEATURE_RESTRICT_FILEDOWNLOAD: Error while opening key.

So, I thought I'd check the permissions for the key, resulting in, 'You do not have permission to view the current permission settings for FEATURE_RESTRICT_FILEDOWNLOAD, but you can make permission changes.

Following that route and trying to set permission to allow the adninistrator to edit the key resulted in, 'Unable to save permissions on FEATURE_RESTRICT_FILEDOWNLOAD. Access is denied.

Any ideas please on how to proceed?

TIA,

db.

Ditch999 15:11 05 Apr 08

Run a virus scan, preferably in Safe Mode along with malware scans.

dogbreath1 17:41 05 Apr 08

Thanks for the response.

Knowing what the machine is used for makes me very reluctant to accept that malware might be at play here.

However, I've run Avast v8 in Safe Mode and it found nothing untoward.

Any more ideas please?

db.

brundle 17:45 05 Apr 08

Keep going back up the registry key tree until you find out where the blocked permissions take effect?

dogbreath1 18:36 05 Apr 08

Cheers. I'll do that. Will post back.

dogbreath1 12:53 06 Apr 08

Have now discovered that the blocked permission is AT that key. Adjacent keys are mainly possible to access and edit.

dogbreath1 13:57 06 Apr 08

Solved. Had to take 'ownership' of the offending registry key before I could edit 'permissions'.

click here

Windows Live Mail now installed and working.

Thanks for your responses.

Cheers,

db.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…