no 80 conductor cable installed.

CJ3G 15:55 09 May 04

I bought a new computer and it restarts by itself sometimes. When the computer is rebooted, a message appears at bios saying 'Secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed.' Do I need 2 install this cable for the computer to stop restarting? Please help. Current version is Windows XP. Thanks.

€dstowe 16:06 09 May 04

Thsi refers to the flat cable connecting your CD Rom etc to the motherboard. Check that the cable is 80 conductor (it will only have 40 pins on the plug). If it is, it is likely it is fitted back to front. If it isn't, you can buy a new one, they are very cheap or, if you contact me via the envelope at the side of this message, I'll send you one.

€dstowe 16:07 09 May 04

Sorry, just noted it's a new machine. In this case, it is the responsibility of your supplier to fit you up.

The offer of a cable is still open, though, if you want it.

SEASHANTY 16:31 09 May 04

The difference in the cables is shown on this website. Note that the the ribbon sockets have 40
apertures whichever cable is used.
click here

€dstowe 13:28 10 May 04

€dstowe 18:43 10 May 04

I do find it sad that I can respond to a query within 10 minutes of it being posted, even offering in this case an item for free to possibly get over the problem, and the reaction from the initiator is zero, zilch, nothing.

Smiler 19:26 10 May 04

Most annoying to say the least. Another one that we may never know what solved it.

SEASHANTY 19:42 10 May 04

Maybe he has no connection. Faulty PC.

CJ3G 04:12 13 May 04

Thank you for your quick response. But the advice you gave me hasnt been tried out yet. I will probably give it a go today.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…