NIVIDA Ge force 8500 GT up date

amyjen7 17:30 09 Nov 08

Windows update has invited me to to update my Ge force 8500 GT processor as an option. Is this an option I should take as I would hate to mess up my PC

Thank you

kind regards

Technotiger 17:44 09 Nov 08

If it 'aint broke .... I'm sure you know the rest :-)

chub_tor 18:32 09 Nov 08

Microsoft are merely advising you that they have found a more recent driver for your graphics card than the one that you are currently using. If you want to know the details about the new driver then you need to look at the NVidia website for your card. That will list the changes they have made since the last update and the reasons why. New drivers are often issued to overcome problems found by users for example to speed up or fix glitches in certain games. If you don't suffer from the problems listed by nVidia or don't play the games that are listed then there is no need to update the driver. But if you have found that your graphics have behaved erratically in some applications then it is worth investigating to see if a new driver will fix the problem. Personally I always go with the Windows suggestion knowing that if it fails for some reasosn there is always the opportunity to roll back the driver.

I am Spartacus 18:37 09 Nov 08

I tend to disagree with that view, not just on graphics cards either. Updates can give added security, bug fixes, improved or new features and in the case of graphics cards improved frame rates/performance. However I would get the updates from the Nvidia site. Also create a System Restore point first.

I am Spartacus 18:37 09 Nov 08

Sorry chub_tor, didn't refresh before posting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…