NIS2006 fights with XP security

Ellen G 19:31 20 Apr 07

I have a new Dell Optiplex 745 with XP Pro and NIS 2006 preinstalled.

I configured windows security centre to download updates but let me choose what to install. Everytime I switch on my computer, I find the settign has reverted back to the automatic updates option.

I also get warning messages from NIS to say that windows are downloading updates, when they are not. Clicking 'fix it' doesn't change things. Norton's tech support have no idea why.

Norton want me to uninstall and reinstall, their standard response. Tried it, didn't work.

I sometimes find that I click things and nothing happens, another XP feature to keep us awake I assume, but in the case of the Windows security centre, the settings remain as I want as long as I don't reboot.

I've been online to windows, to see if I can configure anything there and I've removed the tick against notify me of windows update on the NIS options. A google search didn't find a problem resembling mine. I may be the first.

There's no virus, no trojan. I've run scans, anti-spyware things etc. System seems fine. Did note that spybot regards me disabling windows firewall and customising timing of updates etc as malware though. But the problems started before I installed spybot.

Any ideas before I go mad?

mocha 07:06 21 Apr 07

If your not happy with NIS2006 then uninstall and try the Freeware security programs that are out there. Just use One Firewall and One Anti-Virus, you seem to have anti-spyware programs but as a guide you should have at least two of these. If this is the way you want to go, come back to the forum and there will be plenty of help as to which programs to use.

birdface 08:41 21 Apr 07

A lot of folk having problems with microsoft updates at the moment,Some find an improvement when they switch automatic updates off,Go into the Microsoft site and try and download manualy,And then switch automatic updates back on,The only thing is I cant remember if they had to switch computer off and on at the same time.

J B 10:57 21 Apr 07

This may or may not help, however, NIS turns off the windows security center when it installs as a matter of course. Symantes thinks why have two security centers working at the same time. You can re-enable it if you want and make your own personal settings and they should stay that way. Here is how to do it: click start > run > type services.msc
scrol down to locate the security center and double click on it
in the properties box midway down use the drop down and set to automatic and click apply
then just below click start then click ok and close. J.B.

You may have already done this but if you haven't try it and see if it works for you. J.B.

paulgeaf 11:00 21 Apr 07

Sorry to bring you this kind of reply but it has to be said:
Norton Security products= bad idea = headache and incompatibility.
If you just uninstall it and use anything else you will instantly be in a better situation!
Norton/symantec are known to be such an irritating software. Also add the fact that they tend to hog and usurp resources, ram and generally cause system slowdowns, they really are not worth it.
Uninstall and replace with a good freeware soution like AVG or best, in my opinion for a pay program, NOD32 AV!

freaky 11:52 21 Apr 07

You could uninstall NIS, then download Windows Live OneCare from: -

click here

You can have a 90 days free trial. Been using it on one of my PC's since January 07. Have now bought and installed it on my 3 PC's. Excellent program and includes everything you need for Internet Security.

For it to download and install correctly, you must ensure that NIS has been removed first.

Ellen G 12:53 21 Apr 07

My brother has NIS2006 and his version permits him to avoid duplicates. He looked for the option and couldn't find it. I appear to have an incomplete version.

His computer is running just as he wants it. So Norton can get it right.

Maybe this is a Dell/NIS issue, not so much as NIS issue. It's like toothache though. Draining and chronic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…