NIS2005 + Win98SE = No Install - Can you help?

OwenLotts 14:42 21 Dec 04

Trying to install NIS 2005 on an old laptop i have been given. No CDs except the legit NIS2005 CD i have.

I have used AVG 7 to clean up 20 or so viruses and AdAware has removed loads of ad / spyware and diallers.

I've been trying to install NIS2005 all day but when i insert the CD it shows the first screen and i click "Install NIS 2005" then the CD whirls a bit and the house glass appears for a few seconds then nothing.

Nothing - absolutely nothing! No errors, no messages, no beeps, nothing. I have tried the nis200598_reg_removal REG file from Symantec site and reinstalled Windows Scripting Host....

But still nothing....

Any ideas, please?

Graham ® 14:50 21 Dec 04

Try running A-Squared click here

Could be something is preventing the installation.

woodchip 14:59 21 Dec 04

click here

click here

click here

Or you may find something click here

OwenLotts 15:00 21 Dec 04

That's what i am thinking but HijackThis, MSConfig, AVG 7, AdAware, SpyBot all say clean.

But i'll give it ago....

woodchip 15:02 21 Dec 04

You could also try my way. Copy the contents of the CD to the Desktop the start in safe mode by keep pressing F8 as Computer starts and choose safe mode then run setup file from the backup on the desktop

OwenLotts 15:14 21 Dec 04

Running the Setup programs results in "The MSI must be run through setup" followed by "Fatal Error"

Copying CD to HArd Drive = same result as original - ie nothing.

OwenLotts 15:23 21 Dec 04

A2 - no good - the laptop is not connected to the internet yet.

Windows Installer Program Remover - no effect. Removed 4 Symantec entries and CD still doesn't work.

Even downloaded trial of NIS2005 to CD and installed from there - file unpacked and then did northing so SOMETHING is stopping this - but WHAT?

OwenLotts 15:32 21 Dec 04

Just found out the CD acts as a Emergancy Virus Scanning disk - out of date but worth a go.

Also downloading Avast to see what that turns up....

OwenLotts 07:56 23 Dec 04

Failed to install NIS - AVG is now on.

I wonder if one of the many viruses it had has blocked NIS in the same way SpyWareBlaster blocks nasties (ie through one of the CSID?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…