NIS 2006 nightmare!

Southernboy 13:51 29 Jun 06

My son has now loaned me his computer for the forseeable future. It has NIS 2003 which he has not renewed, so the AV definitions are over a month out-of-date. I have purchased NIS 2006 from PC World and my problems have started.

Firstly, although it contains a "free" copy of GoBack, the box refers me to a website. This states that GoBack will conflict with the computer's recovery discs, so I cannot instal it.

Secondly, I recall reading some where that NIS 2006 conflicts with AOL 9.0 and there are problems with Live Update. So, I contacted AOL who brushed me off telling me they only recommend McAfee. I checked the Symantec site but every time I tried to type in a query, it tells me the "session has ended". All very frustrating.

Can anyone tell me what problems there are with NIS 2006 and AOL 9.0, please? Please don't suggest another AV program as I have already bought NIS 2006.

We are on dialup, NOT broadband, as we cannot use AOL broadband with NTL. I don;t really want to go the broadband at the moment.

Southernboy 14:27 29 Jun 06

as the box is still sealed, PC World will probably change it. The only other software they have is McAfee. How do they compare on both features and effectiveness?

I am not anxious to download an AV program, I prefer to have a complete "package" (as with NIS) but I just want to use the PC without continual problems, so which is more user-friendly, please?

Southernboy 14:36 29 Jun 06

to an Email I sent, which was interesting.

Apparently, when AOL 9.0 is installed, it also automatically installs some McAfee files as well. No one at AOL tells you this.

Apparently, I have to remove the McAfee components of AOL for Norton to work properly.

johndrew 15:49 29 Jun 06

Why not save yourself a lot of expense and go the free route.

If you look through these forums you will find plenty of AV and antispyware software which can be used with very good, safe results for users on many different IPs.

Minkey1 16:26 29 Jun 06

To be fair the grief arises with AOL as much as NIS. Norton gets a lot of stick on these forums. On a reasonably modern machine the oft criticised "overhead" is not really a problem, and personally I like the integration of firewall and AV. When it all works well, it's great - but there's no doubt when it doesn't, it's a pig to correct/remove.

We've 3 laptops all using NIS2006 fine. Our desktop did but it went awry on Live Update. As a result I had to ditch it and am now using Kerio and Avast - both free, but personally I prefer to consider value, not just price (even if it's nil). I can't easily get Avast to schedule scans, and it doesn't record the scans I've done.

Horses for courses I suppose. Go Back is an alternative to the PC's built in System Restore but if you don't like it, don't use it.

If AOL are quietly bundling in elements of McAfee then there will be conflicts with any AV -not just NIS. You shouldn't run two together and AOL should be upfront about what it puts on your machine, and clear about how it can be removed if required. What consideration does AOL receive from McAfee for doing this ?

So,IMHO, 2 cheers for Norton, 0 cheers for AOL, 1 cheer for the freebies.

Now ducks rapidly !

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:50 29 Jun 06

If you can get a refund for Norton (and I know you stated that you do not want any other suggestions)I would be quite happy to send you a copy of the current AVG or Avast .exe file, on a CD so that you can put it onto your computer without going onto the net. Macafee and Norton are both good but they are resource hungry and as you are on dial up you will need all the help you can get. Both AVs integrate fully with Windows and so does AOL. This is, I suspect, the crux of many of the problems associated with both AVs and AOL.

Southernboy 17:18 29 Jun 06

Thank you for your kind offer.

I should explain that I am not only a complete novice (albeit one who has used a PC for several years but never explored any further than using an office suite and MS Money), but also extremely technophobic! Ergo, that is why I never download anything but prefer to buy the "finished package" over the counter. Although I am a pensioner, I know you get what you pay for and am willing to pay a fair price for a reliable product, one that does what it says without any need on my part to get involved in lengthy technical adjustments.

As I understand it, NIS is not only an AV product, but the full security package. I have searched the threads and it is clear that AV is only part of the equation. Hence, however good these free programs are, you have to download a number of them to collate all the security software needed. Have I correctly understood the situation? If so, you can see why I have been willing to pay the price for a comprehensive program. I also note that Norton has a lot of critics.

I am not sure if the AVG or Avast.exe file you mention is a security package, or if it is AV only. Likewise, how does it compare with the ease of use I have experienced with NIS 2003 and Live Update. Sorry to question this, but I really do not understand these programs too well, having been cocooned by AOL/NIS which does it all for you without the need for much in the way of technical knowledge.

Any advice would be appreciated. In the meantime, I will see if PC World will agree a refund, although it is still sealed, I did buy it a couple of months ago. I felt I might stand a better chance of getting a swap for something else.

Southernboy 17:19 29 Jun 06

What do you mean by "overhead"?

Minkey1 19:52 29 Jun 06

Sorry, the demand for resources a particular application makes on your system. Many members here think NIS is too resource hungry.

Minkey1 20:01 29 Jun 06

By the way, AVG & Avast are Antivirus applications. Whatever you decide in the end, use only one.

You still need a Firewall but as you're on Dial Up the risk is reduced as you're not "always on". Maybe Windows built in firewall is sufficient (is XP on the machine ?)

You can have any amount of anti-spyware etc applications going but given your likely use (no file sharing sites etc) you might feel more comfortable with just Windows Defender.

With all of this malarkey I do understand why you want a "one stop" integrated solution !

So do I - I just wish when NIS goes wrong (as it can do) it was easier to sort out.

Regards

Mike

lotvic 20:33 29 Jun 06

As the pc already has NIS 2003 installed, I feel there will not be an issue with AOL and you can upgrade to NIS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…