Nikon Digital 3100 camera (Part two !")

3tg 09:04 15 Jul 03

I ticked my original posting as resolved but it's not, if you could take the time to read my fisrt thread and can help I would appreciate it, Cheers

tamc98 09:48 15 Jul 03

3tg,
I have an A40 and a friend has the coolpix 3100. So far I can't fault the A40 other than it's only 2MP (A70 is 3MP) and with four batteries can be a bit heavy for a pocket camera.

You are right about battery issues on the coolpix. We went hiking in the peak district the other week and my friend took a pack of duracell's as back-up. When they were put in the camera wouldn't even switch on so I gave him two of my rechargables and I used the duracell's in my canon.

The canon can also be fitted with add-on lenses but the coolpix comes with a charger and Adobe Photoshop Elements. You'll need to buy a seperate charger for the Canon (£15 charger + 4 1700ah batteries from Maplin).

If it were my money I'd go for the Canon with batteries and charger from Maplin and two 128mb CF cards from Crucial.co.uk (about £50).
HTH, Tony

anchor 13:09 15 Jul 03

3tg

It would help if you give the link to your original posting.

anchor 13:42 15 Jul 03

Found it now.

GroupFC has bought a Canon A70, following a long thread.
click here

Why not send him a direct message; (click on the yellow envelope next to his name). I am sure he will be glad to advise you.

3tg 20:01 15 Jul 03

I have made up my mind, it seems the Canon A70 has more going for it. I have visited all the sights and posting by GroupFc (Thank you anchor).
I will now shop around for the best price, my partner has charger for his camera and I already have a 6 in 1 card reader all I need is the camera, a case and a 128 card. Thanks to you all

tamc98 20:55 15 Jul 03

3tg,
Don't forget that Jessops will price match and if you order your 128mb card before midday from Crucial.co.uk you'll get it the next morning. The 128mb card I got from them is also faster than the more expensive 128mb Sandisk card I got when I bought the Camera.

3tg 23:42 24 Jul 03

I have been shopping around to look at the Canon A70 and no-one seems to have it in stock, I know I can buy it online or even at Jessops who as you advised would match online prices. I cant help wondering why is it in short supply or are Canon "creating their owm demand ". I am so disappointed that I may settle for the Nikon/ I have appreciated all your advice, can I ask if anyone has bought this camera recently ?. Cheers

GroupFC 08:43 25 Jul 03

I missed your original thread as I was on holiday and can't find it but I see "anchor" has pointed you to my very long thread when I was looking for a camera!

I am very happy with the Canon, but as the 3100 wasn't on my original short-list I don't really know how the two compare. I bought my camera some weeks ago (from Jessops who price-matched click here). I did have some trouble finding it available for immediate delivery online.

Cameras2u site currently shows this camera as "Usually available within 5 days" (whatever that means!), but you could try giving them a ring on 0116 231 4777. When I was looking for my camera I found them very helpful.

I imagine that this camera is in short supply because it has had some very good reviews (for example click here), and everybody wants one!!

Good Luck!!

3tg 14:02 25 Jul 03

Thank you, I had already visited your thread, in fact it helped me to make my decision. My original thread wasclick here which I had ticked as resolved, as you see it isn't !.
I think I will wait until I can get the Canon, while the Nikon seems easier for a novice like myself, the Canon seems to have more going for it. Thank to all. Cheers

GroupFC 14:22 25 Jul 03

I am by no means an expert!!

The Canon is very user friendly and has a number of settings you can experiment with as your confidence grows. Another advantage of the Canon is that it comes with a printed user manual of 200-plus pages!!, which is very useful. This is pocket size (so long as you have big pockets!), and can easily be slipped in a camerabag. I take mine with me whenever I take the camera.

Do let us know when and where you get the camera, and how you get on with it (but if you find it for less than £235, please don't tell me - one piece of advice I have seen on these pages on cameras and all things computer-related is once you have made your purchase stop checking the prices - you will only be disappointed!!).

Regards
P.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…