Nightmare installing ati graphics card on ubuntu

cubensisfreek 09:13 25 Jun 07

Hi all

Have just switched to linux (ubuntu Fiesty) from XP due to multiple blue screen errors (on XP imean).
I'm trying to find the driver for my ati card (it's a radeon) but evey time i attempt to instal the file (From ATI) it will not allow me to.

What i wish to do is use the pc as a media center (like i did with XP) using dual screen to display video files. Is there somewhere i can get display drivers from (for free) or is there another way to configue a dual screen (using a normal TV through s-video connection) this was very easy to do in xp but there does not seem to be any easy way in linux.
I'm a complete Noob to linux so please keep it simple Thanx in advance

Killo Bite 09:22 25 Jun 07

Go to click here

Choose the options and you should be fine

cubensisfreek 16:41 25 Jun 07

yep went to amd/ati site d/loaded the driver but i can't get it to install. keep getting the same error message "could not open file....(ati driver.run)gedit was not able to detect caracter coding"

do i need to open this file in some other way?

brundle 16:50 25 Jun 07

Don't know if this covers the dual-screen aspect;
click here

alan2273 21:19 25 Jun 07

Go to this site and install envy, and do it the easy way from the GUI.

click here

cubensisfreek 08:53 26 Jun 07

Ok Fantastic i now have the secondary display on it is displaying a cloned desktop however the desktop is too large to display on the screen (on the TV when you move the mouse the display moves too)and the picture quality is terrible, washed out colours and flickers on screen (windows wasn't perfect but was much clearer) Video files play fine on the moniotr but not at all on the tv screen (strange since it's a clone) I'm using VLC media player as it is (as far as i know) the best video player around.
there are no sound issues just the video probs. I used Envy ( Thanx alan2273) i am now checking into "brundle"'s solution. I'm sure that the answer is real close.......

cubensisfreek 18:14 26 Jun 07

Ok still not any further on with clearing up the secondary (TV) output signal (washed out colours and flickering) have fixed the resolution so the output on the TV is full screen and doesn't move. There is NO video on the cloned screen however it's fine on the monitor (primary output)

Any Ideas for a fix??

"brundle" thanx for pointing me to this site it's already helped with other problems

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017